PDA

View Full Version : Prepositions and "What did you say?"

Steven D
20-Mar-2005, 04:31
I'm working with JHK. We are working on pronunciation. JHK speaks fluently.

While JHK's speech is not completely unintelligible, it does need to improve considerably.
__________________________________________________ ________

Leaving out prepositions contributes to the unintelligibility of JHK's speech.

Apart from grammar exercises, would anyone happen to have any suggestions as to how to eliminate JHK's preposition problem?

:-| :shock: :?:

ruofei
20-Mar-2005, 05:35
hello!
(What is JHK’s first language?)
I guess, there’s one French as a Second Language teaching method you could apply to English.
It has to do with body language: you associate one gesture with each preposition. Like:
Behind: you point your thumb back and forth over your shoulder.
Between: you join your 2 hands and move them up and down.
Over: you move your hand to and fro over your head…
…and so on.

(I struggle to make myself clear in English here :oops: , sorry X Mode!!) Hope you can still get the idea.
You teach JHK the prepositions and their “body sign” at the same time, it’ll help him/her to better conceptualize their meaning. Then, each time he speaks and omits a preposition, use its associate body sign and he should understand his mistake right away…

Have you already tried this method? If not and if you ever use it, I hope you’ll tell if it worked.
:-D

Steven D
20-Mar-2005, 05:51
hello!
(What is JHK’s first language?)
I guess, there’s one French as a Second Language teaching method you could apply to English.
It has to do with body language: you associate one gesture with each preposition. Like:
Behind: you point your thumb back and forth over your shoulder.
Between: you join your 2 hands and move them up and down.
Over: you move your hand to and fro over your head…
…and so on.

(I struggle to make myself clear in English here :oops: , sorry X Mode!!) Hope you can still get the idea.
You teach JHK the prepositions and their “body sign” at the same time, it’ll help him/her to better conceptualize their meaning. Then, each time he speaks and omits a preposition, use its associate body sign and he should understand his mistake right away…

Have you already tried this method? If not and if you ever use it, I hope you’ll tell if it worked.
:-D

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion.

JHK's first language is Korean.

Thanks again,

:-)