PDA

View Full Version : Teaching English as a Second Language

achalissery
24-Jul-2005, 17:09
I am designing a program to teach adults who have done their education in english, but, due to lack of exposure in expressing their thoughts in english find it difficult to communicate effectively.
The typical way of processing would be to translate what they hear in english to their first native language, formulate the answer in their native langauge and translate back into english before expressing their thoughts.
Any inputs on how to improve their language processing ability without the back and forth translation?

Augustine - Dubai, U.A.E.

Steven D
24-Jul-2005, 17:11
I am designing a program to teach adults who have done their education in english, but, due to lack of exposure in expressing their thoughts in english find it difficult to communicate effectively.
The typical way of processing would be to translate what they hear in english to their first native language, formulate the answer in their native langauge and translate back into english before expressing their thoughts.
Any inputs on how to improve their language processing ability without the back and forth translation?

Augustine - Dubai, U.A.E.

Read and listen.

Blearbunty
24-Jul-2005, 18:13
Hello Augustine,

It is really good thing that you were creating a nice software so please tell me how can i use this software and how to download this.. good bye take care.

Tdol
25-Jul-2005, 12:21
Students have to aqcuire the confidence to use language without translation, which can be very difficult for some, especially is they don't have much contact with the language. By asking them to use the target language to explain other aspects of the target language in the program, you can try to develop this skill. ;-)

Dixybig273
26-Jul-2005, 02:30
The lack of expression of the non-English speakers is in direct proportion to how often they speak their native language. The translation process is not a bad idea, indeed it will improve the writing skill, but it will limit the confidence as they speak.

Dixy

flcracker
26-Jul-2005, 12:53
During "off time" (such as home), students can watch movies or VCR's in English that will give me a chance to hear English pronunciation. It also allows them to practice on their own and without others listening, if they are timid.

Be sure to understand there is a remarkable differnece in the Queen's Engligh and American English.

Some wonderfully bright person said "You have to think in a foreign language to be truely fluent". I found this true when I worked as a translator. I didn't have time to process the words back and forth.

Edgarius
20-Aug-2005, 22:44
Achalissery, please when writing any "noun" for llanguages like English, capitalize the initial letter. Example Russian, not "russian", English, not "english".
check?
Thanks
Bye

Edgarius
20-Aug-2005, 22:44
Achalissery, please when writing any "noun" for world languages like English, capitalize the initial letter. Example Russian, not "russian", English, not "english".
check?
Thanks
Bye

Edgarius
20-Aug-2005, 22:50
Hello Augustine,

It is really good thing that you were creating a nice software so please tell me how can i use this software and how to download this.. good bye take care.
It's an uncommon bad practice to write the first pronoun without a capital letter. it should be written "I".
Edgarius

Sarid
05-Sep-2005, 04:34
you can organize a speech day. Students have to preper a short speech about anything, sometimes you can provide them a topic, but I think that if they choose it is better. something important is 'time' you have to tell them in advance hwo much time they have to speak. It woks!! good luck! :up: :-)

nozguc
06-Oct-2005, 00:57
firstly you have to use your body language,actions,ı mean direct actions,gestures,mimics,also classroom objects,realia,etc. instead of native language.
ıf you want to prevent translation,you have got to use only target language(in this case of course, english!) when they need to translate something,interrupt them and make them use their own body movements and actions!first show them how to do it,how to communicate by using mostly body with a little english,then they will get used to it! after they learn it,they will model you. finally they will be able to do it themselves. you will not believe how things developed!
it will be too hard for them at first,because you let them translate from the very beginning.
I hope you will handle the situation very soon.

flcracker
06-Oct-2005, 14:03
Try putting the name on all objects in the room. Put "CHAIR" on a chair, "WINDOW" on a window. Students can walk around the room and pronounce the words. the words serve as a constant reminder of common objects. It also allows willing students to practice during a break or meal time.

You may also be able to buy cheap children's toys to use, such as a car, truck, cow, dog, and other objects that can be passed around and each student can say the name of the toy. You can write the name of the object on the bottom to help as a reminder when needed.