renzheng04
12-Sep-2005, 10:39
(4) How her leg broke?

Peter[/QUOTE]

Is it right English? : :-?

Peter2005
12-Sep-2005, 13:10
Hello renzheng04,

I realized my mistake. My apology for it.

I think "How her leg was broken" should be right grammatically.

grammar.gal
13-Sep-2005, 04:56
I think what Peter's trying to say is:
How was her leg broken?

I would say:
How did she break her leg?

rhapsomatrics
03-Oct-2005, 16:39
I think,here,that, if you insist on having the question begin with "how",the possible results will be minimal.A question that begins with "how" seeks to know the manner in which a particular action was performed and such questions are usually asked in the simple present and simple past tenses(or aspects)..eg...how DOES(simple present)she sing?...she sings gracefully...eg How DID(simple past)she sing?...she sang gracefully...it is difficult,for example,to have an answer like this..."she's sung gracefully" yet expect the question to begin with how..."how did she sing?"(wrong).
To conclude,an answer in the present perfect or past perfect tense cannot have the question begin with "how"..."what" would be an empirical alternative.
"she's broken her leg"...how?(wrong)
"she's broken her leg"..."what"(correct)..eg "what has she broken"?..."Has she broken anything?"(correct)

rhapsomatrics
03-Oct-2005, 18:00
I think,here,that,if you insist on having the question begin with "how" then,I'm afraid,the possible results may be minimal.A question that begins with "how" seeks to know the manner in which a particular action was performed.In this present case,I don't think same applies, besides,such questions are usually asked in the simple present or simple past tense(or aspect)...eg...How DOES(simple present)she sing?"...she sings gracefully...eg...How DID(simple past)she sing?"...she sang gracefully.It is impossible,for example,to have a question/answer like this..."How's she sung?
...she ???gracefully"
Therefore,it suffices to say that an answer in the present or past perfect/participle cannot answer a question that begins with "how"..."what" would be a most empirical alternative.
"She's broken her leg"...How....?(wrong)
"She's broken her leg...What....(correct)
...what has she broken?...........Her leg!
...Has she broken anything?......(yes)Her leg

renzheng04
04-Oct-2005, 01:57
I think,here,that, if you insist on having the question begin with "how",the possible results will be minimal.A question that begins with "how" seeks to know the manner in which a particular action was performed and such questions are usually asked in the simple present and simple past tenses(or aspects)..eg...how DOES(simple present)she sing?...she sings gracefully...eg How DID(simple past)she sing?...she sang gracefully...it is difficult,for example,to have an answer like this..."she's sung gracefully" yet expect the question to begin with how..."how did she sing?"(wrong).To conclude,an answer in the present perfect or past perfect tense cannot have the question begin with "how"..."what" would be an empirical alternative.
"she's broken her leg"...how?(wrong)
"she's broken her leg"..."what"(correct)..eg "what has she broken"?..."Has she broken anything?"(correct)

There is something that needs more explanations.Thanks for help.

rhapsomatrics
05-Oct-2005, 19:35
What exactly do you want me to explain?

renzheng04
08-Oct-2005, 09:47
......yet expect the question to begin with how..."how did she sing?"(wrong).

A.Last night she went to a party.
B.How did she sing?
A.She sang beautifully.

Am I right ? I am really confused.

Casiopea
08-Oct-2005, 13:19
Hello all, :hi:

The poster asked:

Please make [a] question for the sentence [that] follow[s]:

She's broken her leg. (i.e., She has recently broken her leg.)
How_____________?

The answers are,

"How did she break it?"
"How did she do it?"
"How did that happen?"

and even present tense,

"How do you know that?"

The present perfect ("has broken") refers to a span of time that starts in the past and runs all the way up to now, the present; e.g., How have you been?.

The present perfect is connected to the present and the past, which is the reason simple past "did" is possible; e.g., How did she break it?, and also the reason simple present works; e.g., How do you know that?

All the best, :-)

renzheng04
09-Oct-2005, 03:52
Thank ALL a lot.

Useful and interesting. :lol:

rhapsomatrics
11-Oct-2005, 19:12
Dear Casiopea,
I consider it a clear case of academic or grammatical homicide for anyone to suppose let alone propose to post an answer like this..."she's broken her leg or she's recently broken her leg(as you put it) to questions like these..."how did she do it?"..."what happened to her?"
The tense of the above sentences is SIMPLE PAST and thus cannot have their answers in the perfect(present or past)...as you rightly put it,a present perfect tense seeks to establish a degree of relationship or overlap between a past action and a present one,it does not state a stale fact..."she's broken her" can NEVER be an answer to "what happened to her" or "How did she do it"...instead,I'd prefer something in this neighbourhood..."what has happened to her?"

rhapsomatrics
11-Oct-2005, 19:31
The poster asked:

Please make [a] question for the sentence [that] follow[s]:

She's broken her leg. (i.e., She has recently broken her leg.)
How_____________?

The answers are,

"How did she break it?"
"How did she do it?"
"How did that happen?
...all these questions can only be asked after "she's broken her leg" must have answered another question....
A:What has happened to her?
B:She's broken her leg.
A:How did she break it?
A:How did she do it?
A:How did that happen?
...none of the three model questions you formed can have "she's broken her leg" as answer in the first instance.

Casiopea
12-Oct-2005, 08:48
Statement: She's broken her leg. (i.e., She has recently broken her leg.)
Response: How_____________?

The answers are,

"How did she break it?"
"How did she do it?"
"How did that happen?

. . . these questions can only be asked after "she's broken her leg"That's right. By the way, "She's broken her leg" is not a question; it's a statement. ;-)

Jan: Where's Mary? She's playing 3rd base, today.
Sam: Mary's broken her leg.
Jan: Oh, really? How'd she do it?
Sam: She fell off a horse.

rhapsomatrics
12-Oct-2005, 09:25
I NEVER said "She"s broken her leg" was/is a question and NEVER will I.It is a declarative sentence which is sometimes eponymed as a statement.You may read my post over again.
Thanks.

Casiopea
12-Oct-2005, 09:53
I was working form Post #18, which states: (Note that, the emphasis is mine)

...none of the three model questions you formed can have "she's broken her leg" as answer in the first instance.I agree. "She's broken her leg" cannot be considered "as [an] answer". :-)

rhapsomatrics
12-Oct-2005, 21:05
I agree. "She's broken her leg" cannot be considered "as [an] answer". :-)[/QUOTE]

Are you trying to say that the sentence I wrote MUST have the definite Article "an" before "answer"...
Then consider the following sentences..."Founding a church,these days,seems to be good business"...and ..."founding a church,these days,seems to be a good business"...which of the two would you consider to be wrong or agrammatical...
"none of the three questions you formed can have "she's broken her leg as answer"(right/correct)..."none of the ...can have...as an answer"(correct/right)
Therefore,for reasons of polemical precision and grammatical posterity,it is safe to note that in such a case as this Articles are inconsequential.

Casiopea
13-Oct-2005, 13:13
Are you trying to say that the sentence I wrote MUST have the definite Article "an" before "answer"...Not at all. :-D I added [an] to reduce the ambiguity housed within. That's all. I could have added [the], even [its]. Those work, too:
none of the three questions you formed can have "she's broken her leg as [its] answer"In other words, I'm having trouble making out what the sentence means. Does it mean, none of the three questions can answer "She's broken her leg"? :-D If so, what are your thoughts? 8-) Why don't the questions work?

renzheng04
16-Oct-2005, 01:29
Dear Teachers,

Thank you again for your clear,patient and useful explanations.I've learnt a lot from you.

In my opinion,Dang Viet yen's quetion word "How" should be changed into "what",because we can not find any "words or phrases" in the first sentence that can answer the question word "How".I meam :

She has broken her leg.
-->How..........................? (impossible)
-->What.........................? ( possible )
This is the question-maker's mistake,I think.If we want to do some practice on the question-word "How" the first sentence should be changed.

Thank all again.

Casiopea
20-Oct-2005, 13:10
She has broken her leg.

-->How..........................? (impossible)

This is the question-maker's mistake, I think. If we want to do some practice on the question-word "How" the first sentence should be changed.
It's perfectly fine the way it is, renzheng. ;-)

EX: How did she do it?

That question is not related to the syntax, the sentence structure and/or the words in the sentence. Sure, "What" would work; e.g., "What did she break?", but that's the wrong WH-word. The sentence we've been asked to make has to start with "How".

The question, "How did she do it?" works because it's related to pragmatics. That is, if a friend of yours broke her leg, wouldn't you want to know how she did it? or How she is doing? Here's another perfectly good question:

EX: How is she?

You see, the poster's request is not about "syntax"; it's about pragmatics. The following work just fine:

Doctor: She has broken her leg.
Sam: How is she? :-(
Pat: How did she do it? :shock:

All the best, :-D

renzheng04
21-Oct-2005, 02:28
Thanks,Casiopea.

I know it is right english to say:

How did she break her leg?
How is she?
But here the way to guide the learners to do practice is not good enough,I think.Becuase it is difficult for them ( learners)to find the words or phrases that can answer the question with "how" from the first sentence.

London Bridge
21-Oct-2005, 05:11
When did it happened?

Casiopea
21-Oct-2005, 08:29
But here the way to guide the learners to do practice is not good enough,I think.Becuase it is difficult for them ( learners)to find the words or phrases that can answer the question with "how" from the first sentence.That's just the point, though. There's more to language than the words. Meaning also exists outside the words. It's called Pragmatics. ;-) For example, what would you say and do if you were in a classroom on a windy day and someone said, "I'm cold." If it were me, I'd ask the person if s/he wanted me to close the window. That's pragmatics.

London Bridges, the puzzle we're working on requires a question that must begin with "How", not when. :-D:up:

renzheng04
22-Oct-2005, 01:34
Thankyou again,Casiopea.

I wish the question makers'ideas and the contexts would be clear for the learners to answer the the questions easily ,correctly.

I.Make questions for the words and phrases in bold letters.

1.she worked hard last year.
How.............................?

2.She went to school by motorbike every day last year.
How.............................?

II.Complete the dialogue below.

A. Li is absent again.
B. How.................?
A. She has broken her leg.
B. How................?
A. She fell off the moterbike on the way home from school some days ago.

Casiopea
22-Oct-2005, 01:46
I.Make questions for the words and phrases in bold letters.OK. 8-)

1.she worked hard last year.
How did she do on her exams?

2.She went to school by motorbike every day last year.
How did she afford the gas and upkeep?

II.Complete the dialogue below.

A. Li is absent again.
B. How come?
A. She has broken her leg.
B. How did she do it?
A. She fell off the moterbike on the way home from school some days ago.

How'd I do, teach? :-D:up:

renzheng04
22-Oct-2005, 08:02
Excellent...! What a great lesson for me!

But your questions 1 & 2 haven't put on the words in bold letters.Request...?

How did she work last year?
How did she go to school every day last year?

Thank a lot!:-D

Casiopea
22-Oct-2005, 10:21
You're welcome. Glad we could help. :-)