PDA

View Full Version : Which expressions and why?

M56
24-Sep-2005, 08:58
When setting an exercise for students that focuses on words and their meaning in a text or dialogue , which of the following would you use and for what purpose?

figure out the meaning

guess the meaning

compute the meaning

infer the meaning

deduce the meaning

(the text) suggests a meaning

Roro
25-Sep-2005, 01:08
8-) Love your question. Ask them all. It would make an exam more exciting. The problem is: how would you grade ...

hanan_eg
25-Sep-2005, 08:35
our teacher used to say "figure out the meaning of the word " i think it's the most appropriate one

M56
25-Sep-2005, 09:50
8-) Love your question. Ask them all. It would make an exam more exciting. The problem is: how would you grade ...

Do you think that "guess the meaning" is suitable and specific enough for an exam?

M56
25-Sep-2005, 09:50
our teacher used to say "figure out the meaning of the word " i think it's the most appropriate one

Yes, I like that one.

Roro
25-Sep-2005, 10:46
/M56/ Do you think that "guess the meaning" is suitable and specific enough for an exam?
It depends on the type of an exam, ...doesn't it?
It would be fairly suitable than these options as compute the meaning or deduce the meaning. ..no?

hanan_eg
25-Sep-2005, 11:14
i think guess the meaning will show how imaginative the students are .. they will try to think of all the possible meanings ..

Casiopea
25-Sep-2005, 12:17
It depends on the type of an exam, ...doesn't it?
It would be fairly suitable than these options as compute the meaning or deduce the meaning. ..no? :lol::up: I like your humor, Roro. Better to guess than to leave it blank. 8-)

Roro
25-Sep-2005, 22:13
Good morning, Casiopea, :hi:

Better to guess than to leave it blank. 8-)
Now let those exams keep students' imagination stimulated...

Roro
25-Sep-2005, 22:38
/hanan_eg/I think guess the meaning will show how imaginative the students are .. they will try to think of all the possible meanings ..
Some example sentences make you ponder indeed...

# I cannot understand why he is wearing his sweater inside-out.

# My brother returned home yesterday late at night completely devastated.

(.... what happened ...??)

Please correct me when my English is too strange.

M56
26-Sep-2005, 09:21
i think guess the meaning will show how imaginative the students are .. they will try to think of all the possible meanings ..

They might indeed.

M56
26-Sep-2005, 09:22
Good morning, Casiopea, :hi:

Now let those exams keep students' imagination stimulated...

What would be the problem with "deduce"?

M56
26-Sep-2005, 09:24
Some example sentences make you ponder indeed...

# I cannot understand why he is wearing his sweater inside-out.

# My brother returned home yesterday late at night completely devastated.

(.... what happened ...??)

Please correct me when my English is too strange.

Could you please compute the meaning of "devastated" there?

8-)

Roro
26-Sep-2005, 10:07
What would be the problem with "deduce" 8-) ?
Well, it would begin like this:

Holmes sat quietly for a long time, studying something in a glass bottle, showing his back to me. Suddenly he asked me, without looking back:
"So Watson, you are thinking about Mrs Hudson's dinner."
I was very surprised by his sudden question.
"How do you know that?" ...and so on.

Roro
26-Sep-2005, 10:23
Could you please compute the meaning of "devastated" there 8-)?
Computer recognizes only the difference between 0 and 1 !

.................................................. ........................
..... but if you really want I'll give it a try at least as much as I can .......

Casiopea
26-Sep-2005, 10:37
Computer recognizes only the difference between 0 and 1 !

.................................................. ........................
..... but if you really want I'll give it a try at least as much as I can .......:lol: Wonderful, Roro. I'd have to agree. "compute" implies some type of computational device, like a computer or a calculator (hence the synonyms, compute : calculate, and the idiom, "Do you compute ~ understand?").

M56
26-Sep-2005, 23:03
:lol: Wonderful, Roro. I'd have to agree. "compute" implies some type of computational device, like a computer or a calculator (hence the synonyms, compute : calculate, and the idiom, "Do you compute ~ understand?").

Or an algorithm.

rhapsomatrics
05-Oct-2005, 22:02
I find myself,here,in a respectful disagreement to and with everything and everybody.The meaning(semantics) of words is not far-fetched--it can either be denotative(ordinary/dictionary) or connotative(contexual/figurative/derived etc)Therefore,it suffices to say that the denotative meaning of a word can simply,if not only,be DETERMINED since the meaning is almost steriotyped.However,the meaning of words that are connotatively used can be... inferred;deduced;figured out etc,particularly because some of such words could be polysemous(giving room for variant and divergent but accurate interpretations)