PDA

View Full Version : Learning Vocab

rlindner1
29-Mar-2006, 17:35
Hi ! I'm looking for practical tips to give to the students when it comes to learning vocabulary. All I know is the standard: the cards, organising them by topic using a mind-map maybe, just learning them by heart from a list. Any other ideas? Or a good book on the topic, maybe learning psychology and strategies in general?

Thanks

Rene

bulbul
30-Mar-2006, 00:33
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/newsenglish/witn/2006/03/060329_paris.shtml

How about words in the news? Check the above link. You might like it.

Donbelid
03-Apr-2006, 17:27
Working on vocabulary, seperate from language skills, I think would be disadvantagous at elementary and intermediate levels.

For advanced learners we have great resources:

1) "Vocabulary for College-Bound Student" by Harold Levine, et al.
2) "1100 Words You Need to Know" by Barron's...
3) "Vocabulary For the High-School Students" by Harold Levine.

Simpler Material:
4) "Barron's Essential Words For the TOEFL"
5) "A Vocabulary Workbook" by Anne Farid
6) "504 Absolutely Essential Words" by Barron's

milinskig
09-Apr-2006, 17:52
Hi ! I'm looking for practical tips to give to the students when it comes to learning vocabulary. All I know is the standard: the cards, organising them by topic using a mind-map maybe, just learning them by heart from a list. Any other ideas? Or a good book on the topic, maybe learning psychology and strategies in general?
Thanks
Rene
Hello Rene
The most successful method I have used in helping students retain their new vocabulary words, is to partner them and to have them quiz each other in pronunciation, spelling and definition (or using the new words in a sentence). This reduces the stress of simply taking tests, either orally in front of their class or timed writing tests. Pair a typically poorer student with a more accomplished student. Success will become contagious.:-D