PDA

View Full Version : Developing TOEIC Software

A.Russell
14-Sep-2004, 07:27
I want to start planning a sofware application fro helping learners prepare for the TOEIC exam.

I am just starting to think about how to approach it, and I'd like to hear from teachers and learners about what features and methods would be useful.

I'd also like to hear about any text books or software for TOEIC or similar exams that you found expecially good.

Tdol
14-Sep-2004, 23:36
www.english-test.net might be worth checking out- they deal with TOEIC. ;-)

blacknomi
15-Sep-2004, 08:17
Thanks for the link. :)

ion Joe
15-Sep-2004, 08:30

It's great!! Thank you, Tdol!! :D

A.Russell
15-Sep-2004, 14:05
Thank you, that was very useful. If anyone else has any good ideas, please post them.

I'm thinking along the lines of an application that can download new material as it comes available and charts the learner's progress.

I'll ask in the students' section as well.

Tdol
16-Sep-2004, 13:04

It's great!! Thank you, Tdol!! :D

It's a great site- nice people running it, too.;-)

Tdol
16-Sep-2004, 13:06
Thank you, that was very useful. If anyone else has any good ideas, please post them.

I'm thinking along the lines of an application that can download new material as it comes available and charts the learner's progress.

I'll ask in the students' section as well.

Would this be downloading materials as you created them? So,they'd have the software on their machine and it would check for updates, likes an anti-virus program and record results, etc? If so, it sounds very interesting. ;-)

A.Russell
18-Sep-2004, 05:38
Yes, that way I can keep adding tests or other teachers could make them and share them with everyone.

Tdol
18-Sep-2004, 17:21
Are you doing the programming?;-)

A.Russell
19-Sep-2004, 19:31
Yes. Do you want to do it for me? :D

Here's a game I'm finishing up at the moment:

http://www.3dgamesforkids.com/pictures/pachi_dancer1.jpg
http://www.3dgamesforkids.com/pictures/PachiBonusGame.jpg

I thought I'd better make something more directly to do with English teaching, since that's what pays the bills/overseas holidays/ cars/other toys :)

Not much response here, but I know there are a lot of good teachers here, so if anyone can tell me what they are using for teaching TOEIC/ TOEFL I'd be really happy.

Thanks.

Red5
19-Sep-2004, 19:39
That looks nice! You are obviously a very accomplished programmer and/or have access to some rather cool tools. I do a bit of C/C++ programming (and of course PHP) but it's nothing like that standard! ;-)

A.Russell
19-Sep-2004, 21:17
That looks nice! You are obviously a very accomplished programmer and/or have access to some rather cool tools. I do a bit of C/C++ programming (and of course PHP) but it's nothing like that standard! ;-)

You can't really see the programming from the screenshots. It still has a few bugs that need ironing out. It is mostly written in a java ike scripting language for the real time 3d engine. The only c++ I needed to write on this project was a little security code to slow the pirates down a little.

I did virtually all the artwork myself in Lightwave and Photoshop.

Anyway, I'm going to write a nice staid, serious windows application for learning English. Any ideas are welcome (having lots of zombies to shoot would be nice, but I already had to rule that out -unless they are native English speaking zobies :D ).