Present Perfect or Past Simple
I've got a letter in which I have to put the Present Perfect or the Past Simple tense:
I'm writing to tell you all the lastest family news. Aunt Daisy (1) had a baby girl a week ago. Uncle Nick is very pleased. They (2) ........ (name) the baby Louise. Uncle Bruce ........... (buy) a new car and he (4) ............. (give) the old one to Aunt Celia. Do you remember my cousin Rupert? Well, he (5) moved to Germany last month. He (6) ........... (take) his wife and children with him. Grandpa (7) took Alex on a fishing trip last weekend. Unfortunately, they (8) didn't catch any fish!
Grandma (9) have recently redecorated the living room. She (10) ............ (paint) the walls pink and (11) ............. (buy) a new carpet to match. It looks lovely.
That's all for now. Take care and write soon with your news.
I have already filled the gaps I knew the answer to.
Please give your answer with the explanation why there must be the particular tense.
This is what I think:
1) "had" because it was "a week ago"
2) "named" because we still know that it was "a week ago"
3) "have bought" because we want to emphasize the event OR "bought" because it was in the past
4) "gave" because we are not interested in what happened to the old car
5) "moved" because it was "last month"
6) "took" because we know that it was "last month" OR "have taken" because they most probably are still there
7) "took" because it was "last weekend"
8) "didn't catch" because it is a finished event
9) "have recently redecorated" because it was "recently"
10) "have painted" > recently
11) "bought" because it is a continuation of the Present Perfect sentence OR "have bought"
Re: Present Perfect or Past Simple
Originally Posted by Learner19861986
By cubezero3 in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 28-Sep-2009, 07:33
By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 21-Jul-2009, 22:55
By belly_ttt in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 03-Dec-2007, 06:01
By powerlerner in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 31-Oct-2007, 03:25
By pidr1nhu in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 28-Apr-2006, 06:17
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO