- For Teachers
Is it correct to use 'pretty' as an adverb intensifying negative adjectives?
For example as in:
1) "She is pretty depressed."
2) "He was pretty bad in the test - he got an E."
3) "That was a pretty ugly witch."
Or is the adverb 'pretty' used only with positive qualities such as:
1) "She is pretty creative."
2) "He did pretty well in his test - he got an A."
3) "That was a pretty beautiful witch."?
PS Please correct any possible mistakes in this post.
I was almost expecting Bhaisahab to point out it's not as common in BrE as in AmE, but I suppose it's once again getting quite common there too.