Are these correct? If not, why? What do they mean?
1. Guns are my hobby.
2. Guns is my hobby. (Is this incorrect?)
3. Collecting guns is my hobby. ('collecting' is the subject here?)
What do these mean?
4. Hunting and collecting guns is my hobby.
5. Hunting and collecting guns are my hobby.
2 is incorrect.
You're right about 3
I'd use 5, but say hobbies.
You really can't use "Hunting" o_o Because its an inanimate object. But I suppose it COULD be used since it may be hard to find certain guns so they'd really have to search.
You can never use a plural word, and 'is' together. It just does not work. Using plurals, you have to use 'are'.
So, 1 would be right.
2 is incorrect because 'guns' is plural and is followed by an 'is' and remember, that is not allowed.
3 This IS correct though hower since its talking a verb. You must read 'collecting' and 'guns' as one word here.
Since collecting is a verb, and guns is defining what is being collected so 'guns' is now part of that verb. This makes 'is' okay. If its a verb, and not plural (The base verb ((Such as this example, Collecting would be that base verb)) must be plural for the entire (Base and follow-up word ((Follow-up word being 'guns')) together) verb to make using "is" incorrect.
Eh, sorry if that's confusing to read. Any questions, just ask ^_^"
4) correct because remember, the entire verb (Collecting & guns together) is not pural. Only 'guns' is, which is still okay to happen.
5) Incorrect because for "Are" to be correct, the entire verb must be plural. Which does not actually happen often...
I disagree a bit with your analysis of number 5- hunting and collecting guns could be seen as two aspects of a single activity, or as two different activites. There are hunters who don't collect guns and gun collectors who don't hunt. The verb is correct in the plural from the latter perspective, so the change that is required is to put the noun into the plural.
Hmm...nice. I did not look at it that way. I was only looking at it at one perspective. ;)
So, either can be used. But for five, if your to use it, hobby should be hobbies. Aye.
By bmo in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 29-Feb-2004, 17:11
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO