Would you please correct the following exercises ?
I/ CONDITIONAL :
1) You’re late again! If you a) (be) = ARE late again tomorrow, your pay b) (stop) = WILL BE STOPPED.
2) The passengers at the front of the plane were all killed, but Alice, who was sitting at the back, survived. If she a) (sit) = HAD SAT / HAD BEEN SITTING nearer the front, she b) (kill) = WOULD’VE BEN KILLED.
3) If you (be able to) = ARE / WERE ABLE TO do this exercise, you (be) = WILL / WOULD BE very clever.
II/ WISH :
1) The weather is horrible. =
a) I wish the weather were warmer. / b) I wish it were shiny. (?)
2) Last night we went to the Ritz restaurant, and I was ill all night. =
I wish we/I had not been/gone to the Ritz restaurant last night; I was ill all night.
3) a) I wanted to go to Spain. b) But the rest of my family persuaded me to come to Westby. =
a) I wished I had gone to Spain. b) And I whished the rest of my family hadn’t persuaded me to come to Westby.
III/ SENTENCE TRANSFORMATION :
1) You’re going to end up in prison if you don’t change your ways.
= Unless you change your ways, you will end up in prison.
2) The policeman told us to fit new locks on the door.
= The policeman suggested that we fit / should fit new locks…
3) Thieves broke into our house while we were on holidays.
= Our house was broken into while we were…
4) Would you like me to call the police ?
= I shall call the police if you want me to.
5) You can borrow the car, but you’ve got to fill it up with petrol.
= Provided you fill the car up with petrol, you can borrow it.
Re: grammar exercises
What do you think of my answers to this sentence transformation exercise ?
1) I went down with 'flu as soon as I had recovered from bronchitis.
No sooner… had I recovered from bronchitis than I went down with a ‘flu.
2) She said she thought I was a liar.
She accused… me a) of being a liar / b) of lying / c) to be a liar ?
3) If we don't hear from you within seven days, the order will be cancelled.
Unless… we hear from you a) in / b) within seven days, the order will be cancelled.
4) If you didn't contribute generously, we couldn't continue our work.
But for… your generous contribution, we couldn't continue our work.
(is there another possible answer here ?)
5) She is a qualified doctor, yet she was not able to diagnose the illness.
If she… is a qualified doctor, she should have been able to diagnose the illness.
6) I wanted to go on competing, but the doctor advised me not to because I looked very tired.
I wanted to go on competing, but the doctor told me I… had better not because I looked very tired.
7) “It’s a little late,” said Wendy. “Do you think we will be able to get in?”
Wendy told David… that it was a little late and asked her a) if / b) whether they would be able to get in.
I would be grateful if someone could answer my posts.
By Red5 in forum General Language Discussions
Last Post: 11-Jul-2007, 09:13
By Red5 in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
Last Post: 21-Sep-2004, 12:34
By myprofe in forum General Language Discussions
Last Post: 27-Aug-2004, 07:24
By Sorin in forum General Language Discussions
Last Post: 11-Aug-2003, 19:23
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO