Newspaper article 13June05
I just got the internet at work today. Now I can read the newspaper and post questions all at once, at work. Hurray for me, bummers for the teachers, right?
This is the link to the whole article... again, if you have no idea what I'm asking about, this may help you.
Anywayz... here are the questions.
There are quite a few legal / business terminologies in the above sentence I don't have clear idea about. (maybe they're not
TRANSPORTATION MINISTER Harinder Takhar should step down pending a probe by the province's integrity commissioner into his visit to a company he holds in a blind trust, says Conservative Leader John Tory.
1. pending a probe
2. intergrity commissioner
3. blind trust
1. Who would be a 'trustee'?
The Sunday Sun revealed yesterday that Takhar visited a firm he owns, Chalmers Group of Companies, in April despite integrity rules that require cabinet ministers to put their assets in a blind trust under the supervision of a trustee, and to deal with them at arm's length.
2. Deal with them at arm's length - I can't even guess what it means... the nuance I get after reading the whole article is that this Takhar guy shouldn't approach his own company for some reason. But arm's length doesn't sound too far in terms of distance.
As always, your reples are much appreciated. I can't thank you enough.
Re: Newspaper article 13June05
1. pending a probe- until an investigation has taken place
2. intergrity commissioner- someone who looks at the ethical issues
3. blind trust- where the people don't know the identity of the people putting money in so they aren't influenced
1- trustess run the trust
2- at arm's length = not get to close to them so as not to compromise things
By ewelina in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 23-Jan-2008, 16:36
By johan_vm in forum Editing & Writing Topics
Last Post: 08-Jun-2005, 05:29
By critic72 in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 25-Apr-2005, 19:34
By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 30-May-2004, 19:25
By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 06-Jul-2003, 18:55
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO