I am not quite sure about the meaings of the bracketed parts in the following sentences. Would you please do me a favor?
1. The Farm occupies twenty square miles, most of it covered in tall pine forest, [with the central buildings in a ten-acre clearing two miles from the front gate.]
2. It has become fashionable in certain [liberal circles] to attack our intelligence services.
3. You will learn about [‘dead drop’], how to covertly communicate with your contacts.
4. There’s one more thing I want to discuss today. Coincidence. In our work, there is [no such animal].
5. Your not taking on this assignment might [throw a cloud on ]Admiral Whittaker.
Thanks a lot.
1- The farm house, barn, etc, are in a ten-acre area, where the trees have been cut down.
2- Liberal circles are area, like in some sections of the media, where liberal thinking dominates.
3- A dead drop is used in spying- it is a place where information can be left withut physical contact between the spies.
4-It means that there is no cincidence in this area.
5- Make people think badly of him
The clearing could also be a natural clearing where the trees just didn't grow, don't you think?
By lingchen in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 18-Sep-2005, 02:09
By Lai in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 28-Aug-2005, 10:22
By shery in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 13-Aug-2005, 07:47
By ChrisChen in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 28-Jul-2005, 12:17
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO