Would you please have a look at my exercise? Would you have MORE sentences for me to do?
Rewrite these sentences using a genitive whenever it is possible and making the necessary changes.
1) The goal of Bill Clinton is to make a distinction between legal and illegal immigration.
Bill Clinton'S goal is to make a distinction between legal and illegal immigration.
2) The short-term costs of immigration are very high. NO CHANGE (?)
3) The figures published last year show an increase in the number of Asian immigrants. NO CHANGE ?
4) Romeo and Juliet forfeit their lives partly as a result of the hatred and the prejudice of their parents. (is this sentence correct ?)
Romeo and Juliet forfeit their lives partly as a result of their parentS' hatred and prejudice.
5) The leader of the students was an excellent speaker. NO CHANGE
Thanks a lot,
3- last year's...
4 Yes, but you could say 'their parent's hatred and prjudice...'
5 The students' leader...
1) Would you please tell me more about factors concerning abstract nouns and give me examples of temporal, locative, human activity (and others perhaps) genitives?
2) What about : "Treasure Island’s author, Robert Louis Stevenson, was a Scotsman born in Edinburgh in 1850."
In which category would you put "titles of books"? Proper noun = concrete noun?
3) Are these wrong ?
The leach of the dog. / The car's door is open.
4) Would you please give me a sentence where a possessive is added to the names of planets: Earth's, Saturn's, Pluto's .....
5) How do you explain this use : The blue bike is my cousin's.
6) And why do we say:
a) The Song of Solomon and the Gospel of John are two of the most beautiful books of the Bible.
b) The computer's hard drive is broken.
Kind regards, Hela
1) In additions to my questions above, would you please tell me why we cannot use the possessive case in the following sentence?
The success of personal computing is the accomplishment of Bill Gates. (and not Bill Gates’(s) accomplishement?)
2) Is this sentence correctly written ?
"Treasure Island is one of the best known and most loved children’s adventure stories in the world."
Thanks a lot,
By Srdjan in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 24-Jan-2006, 01:51
By Thalii in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 04-Dec-2005, 18:28
By DreamyPink307 in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 28-Oct-2005, 04:14
By anandsing in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 11-Mar-2005, 05:33
By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
Last Post: 11-Jun-2003, 17:58
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO