don't get it...
I don't understand the phrase "to get updated"??
1. Is it Passive Voice
2. If it passive voice, why is it "get+past paticiple", Isn't should be "verb to be +past participle"??
3. Is it the same as "to be updated"??
We often use 'get' instead of 'be' in the passive, so it is correct. It's a more colloquial form. It can have the meaning 'become', which it does here.
I'm still confused...
Is it the same as "to be updated"??
Originally Posted by tdol
Get may also be followed by a past participle. The p.p. functions as an adjective; it describes the subject. The passive get is common in spoken English, but is often not appropriate in formal writing.
I got tired.
He got married.
Mary got fired.
The version of MSN got updated.
Thank you, blacknomi. But I'm still confused. Could you please answer these questions to me??
Originally Posted by blacknomi
1. Is it the same as "to be updated"??
2. Is it the passive voice or not?? If it's not, what should I call it??
3. what does the "the passive get" mean??
4. All your example use "got+past participle". what is the difference between "get+past participle" and "got +past participle"
We usually call this the causative form of the passive.
You can have or get something done for you.
It is a type of passive, and therefore is constructed as such.
Look at this example.
We don't usually say: The hairdresser cut my hair.
In order to show that we wanted this done for us, we use the causative:
I had my hair cut (by a hairdresser).
I got my hair cut (by a hair dresser).
(Be specially careful to place the object between the verb have/ get and the past participle or you might make a present perfect tense!)
In the same manner, if somebody gets updated, he is probably receiving information (which is a passive state), but has looked for the information in some way, and therefore caused this passive state. In this case we would usually use a causative construction.
Still sometimes we use this form of causative, whether a person has caused it or not.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO