- 1 Post By Anglika
overhaul = check, do up, examine, fix, inspect, mend, recondition, re-examine, repair
Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right track with my interpretation of the term in bold in the following title of a NYT’s article-namely “White House Overhauling Rescue Plan?
On the one hand I know at least 5 meanings of the term in question – namely
- To examine or go over carefully for needed repairs.
- To dismantle in order to make repairs.
- Nautical. To slacken (a line) or to release and separate the blocks of (a tackle).
- To make extensive renovations or revisions on; renovate: proposals to overhaul the health care system.
- To catch up with; overtake.
On the other hand there are many legitimate synonyms of the present poly-semantic term – namely: check, do up, examine, fix, inspect, mend, recondition, re-examine, repair, survey, service.
I think that in the present case that’s right enough to choose the meaning 1a alias reexamine.
Thank you for your efforts.
Re: overhaul = check, do up, examine, fix, inspect, mend, recondition, re-examine, re
Definition #2 is closer >> make revisions
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO