Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello everybody,

as a songwriter, I'm in need of a single word to complete one of my songs. Melody, rhythm, chords, everything is already done, except from one tiny word which, however, is gonna have a central function in the entire song! It's part of the title and will be the most emphasised word in the chorus. So it should be chosen carefully.

The song is an anti-war song, telling about miseries of war throughout the verse. The chorus was originally "Only freedom is the key". However, the meaning of "freedom" doesn't really get what I wanna say. I actually mean "peace", but I need a word with two syllables, stressed on the first syllable. First syllable long, second one short, just like in "freedom"

I was thinking of "Only world peace is the key", but that sounds too specific and overblown to my ears.
Other option so far was "Only love will be the key", but then again, it's not specific enough ;)

Is there no other two-syllable word for "peace"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Only peace will be the key
Only concord is the key

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I like 5jj's "Only peace will be the key". You'd already considered the construction "Only love will be the key" so you appeared to be happy with "will be" rather than "is".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or "peace can" instead of "peace will."

Status