watching movies with subtitles helps in improving english or not..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loiu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One of my friend suggested me to watch regional movies with english subtitles of watch english movies with english subtitles so that I can improve my english...? This idea really works or not..?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One of my friend​s suggested [STRIKE]me to[/STRIKE] that I watch regional movies with English subtitles, [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] or watch English movies with English subtitles so that I can improve my English. Do you think that this idea really works or not?

Welcome to the forum.

Please note my corrections to your post above. Remember to capitalise the word "English" at all times. We end a sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark, not with ..? as you did.

Many people find watching films with subtitles a great way to help them learn a language. I recommend watching films with English dialogue and English subtitles. If you watch a film in which all the spoken dialogue is in your own language, it's easy to just listen to that language and forget to concentrate on the subtitles.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Here's something some people I know have found useful. Before watching a film in English with English subtitles, watch a version that has been dubbed in your own language. Then watch it in English with English subtitles. You'll not have to worry about missing the meaning of some crucial word, sentence or short dialogue, because you'll already know what's going on. You can watch the English-language version in a more relaxed mood, and perhaps catch the general flow of what is being said.

Many years ago, on holidays in Germany, I used to go the the cinema to watch German-dubbed versions of films I had already seen in England. I firmly believe that this helped improve my listening skills in German.

dhakad

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hey, One of my friend also suggest me that see the movie with English subtitle. I find that this is excellent way for improve English. Dear i also weak in English. We all are know that without English we can't achieve our goals.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
regional movies with english subtitles of watch english movies with english subtitles

Just out of curiosity: if your native language (as seen on your profile) is English and you're from the UK... then what do you exactly mean by that?

yslamac

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What is the problem of using "suggest me to "? Many students in my country write in this way.:-?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is the problem [strike]of[/strike] with using "suggest me to "? Many students in my country write it in this way. :-?

Then many students in your country are getting it wrong.

I suggest that you watch films.
I suggest to you that you watch films.
I suggest watching films.

yslamac

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
It is a kind of fixed grammar rules or just a special usage of "suggest"?
My brother helps me do the homework. <- Becoz it is correct if we write it in this way @@

Status
Not open for further replies.