Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
Hi!

At the beginning I want to mention that I don't speak and write in English, so I'm sorry for my spelling errors. So, I'm 17 year old, and I moved to America about 10 months ago I went to school. I had some problems at school with my language, because I didn't understant teachers or my classmates. I still don't speak English well and I don't understant everything, like movies or books. I want you guys to give some advices how can become fluent in English, because it's very important to me. I'm afraid to speak to people who I don't know. I'm not confident with my languge. I don't have an accent and I think that I sound funny when I talk with someone. It's is discouraging. I try to watch American movies, but usually I don't feel like to do it. I usually get angry and I think that I will never learn to speak English fluently. I need some advices, how can "force" myself to work. I hope that you're going to help me. Thank you!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum.

I don't think we can help you much.

You are going through an understandable state of depression - after ten months in your new country, you are still an outsider, and your lack of success demotivates you. All I can say is that hundreds of thousands of people have experienced similar problems, and most of them have got to the other side of the dark patch. You are young enough to become fluent in time. Try to be patient.

Watch films that you have already seen dubbed into your own language (and enjoyed), then you can relax more, because you have an idea of what is going on. Read books that you have already read and enjoyed in your own language. Try to do things in English that you will enjoy doing.

I have used the word 'enjoy' several times. If you try to use English to give yourself pleasure, things may become easier.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hello, Matt.

Welcome to the forum!

First of all let me make you a complement that you writing is good enough to say that you don't write English! (Here, I suppose you have written the text yourself)
Our teachers may (or may not) back up me on that.

The second thing. Don't panic! As our highly respectable teacher fivejedjon said you need a patience. You must realise that some people learn quickly and others need more time. That is usual. Please, don't think if you need more time to speak English fluently then you are worse than your friends or collegues. It is not that simply. In the rest I completely agree with fivejedjon. Relax is the key to your success!

How you can gain the state of relax? You must practise. For example if you don't understand some people don't panic, just smile. And say straight that you don't understand. There are very nice people who will be your friends even if you don't understand them completely. I myself made a few friends in SA while I was very bad in spoken English and couldn't understand them as well. Sometimes we all laughted on my mistakes. It was being really funny!

I am aware that there are not very nice people who may behave not very good when they hear your bad speech. These are bad people. Try to avoid them.

P.S. I am sorry for any mistakes I have made in the post.

P.P.S. I wish you all the best!

Yours sincerely, Alex.

matt889

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your answers, they are really helpful. I know, that the people will not laugh at my speech, but I can't understand it, I know it's stupid, but I'm a young person, and the thinks are different than they seem. Thanks!

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
I know, that the people will not laugh at my speech, but I can't understand it, I know it's stupid.
You don't even think of it! I am not beign funny.

If you don't understand, it's NOT stupid! It's OK!
Smart people must understand that.
It's OK to fail. Be ready to fail. And it is not all only about English.

The worst thing you may do in this life is to give up.

Good Luck!

Alex.

ZUMBA13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
Great Britain
Thank you for your answers, they are really helpful. I know, that the people will not laugh at my speech, but I can't understand it, I know it's stupid, but I'm a young person, and the thinks are different than they seem. Thanks!

hello Matt, dont be worry my son , same age like you is not a good enough in English but he try every day. We re French and live in England, watch movies, read book...and speak a lot with people....good luck.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.