English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello.
I have a problem with one of my students, and to be more precise with her mother. The problem is that she sits in the classroom with her daughter throughout the whole lesson. I understand that sometimes kids can be scared to be alone, especially when they first start but the girl's been attending theclasses for 5 months now and I can't get her mother to leave the room!
I've tried telling her that it's bad for her daughter, who is 5/6 btw, and she might have problems later when she starts elementary school but she doesn't seem to get it.

What can I tell her?How to convince her/make her leave the classroom?

please, any advice would be appreciated :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This is a problem for the school's management team.

If I were part of that team, I would simply inform the mother that she was not allowed in the classroom.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you giving the child one-to-one lessons, or is this a class of several students?

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
United States
I'm curious. Has the mother given you any reasons as to why she always sits in your classroom? What is the child like? Is the child anxious/upset at all? I know it can be uncomfortable to feel like you are being watched, but I'd also like to know why you are so keen to get her out of the classroom. Maybe if you can't make her leave, you can make the best of having her there. Maybe she's just really interested in education and wants to see how it all works. Maybe the mother thinks she is being helpful to you by staying. If so, you could always put her to work (assuming you have a group of kids). Get her to take a reading group or check homework or something!
-Charlotte

Tina-Tin

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Re: parents sitting in the room during the lesson - live with it

You were not very specific so I don't know exactly what to tell you. If you are a man then she might be worried about her daughter. If you are a woman, well, she might be interested in how you teach her kid. If it is the first case, let her be. When she trusts you enough she might arrange things so she can be working around OUTSIDE while watching the class, discreetly. If it is the latter, well, then I can tell you from experience.

I used to have such parents like that for a one-to-one class. No problem: you should not be nervous (if that is the reason you want her out). Make her into your assistant. Ask her question from the lesson. Treat her as if she is another student. That will benefit the kid, make your class not awkward, and eventually, the mother will give up. It's not that interesting learning kids' courses for adults, I tell you :lol:
Once a dad was around checking on the lesson and my students (his kids) made fun of his accent in front of me. Lol. He never came to the lessons anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.