Is it correct that a composition on an accident should not mention deaths of victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
My friend's daughter has been advised by her teacher of English language not to write about victims of road accidents being killed or fatally injured when writing a composition on 'A Road Accident' or any other accident.

I would like to know whether native speaker teachers have also the same advice for their students.

Thanks.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: Is it correct that a composition on an acicident should not mention deaths of vic

I do not understand why this advice was given. If the title of the composition is simply 'A Road Accident', then there is only one restriction, in my opinion: a road accident must be a central part of the composition,

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Is it correct that a composition on an acicident should not mention deaths of vic

I'd also like to know if there's a difference between being killed and fatally injured.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I'd also like to know if there's a difference between being killed and fatally injured.
Of course there is!

If you are killed, you are dead, and if you are fatally injured, you are ...

... not living any more.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

On a more serious note, 'killed' suggests to me instant death, while 'fatally injured' suggests that the injuries did not cause instant death. That's just my personal view.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

On a more serious note, 'killed' suggests to me instant death, while 'fatally injured' suggests that the injuries did not cause instant death. That's just my personal view.

Fair enough.
She was killed in an auto accident.
She died from an auto accident = fatally injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.