[Idiom] 'get a flat' same as 'get a flat tire'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiamajia

Member Type
Student or Learner
A local English channel warns drivers to set their tire pressure a bit lower since the weather is scorching hot. The announcer says this could avoid getting a flat. He does not say 'avoid getting a flat tire'.

Is 'flat' same as 'flat tire' in this case? Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A local English channel warns drivers to set their tire pressure a bit lower since the weather is scorching hot. The announcer says this could avoid getting a flat. He does not say 'avoid getting a flat tire'.

Is 'flat' same as 'flat tire' in this case? Thank you.

Yes, it means the same thing.

Note, for info, in BrE it's spelt "tyre" (only when you're talking about the type on a car or bicycle". The verb "to tire" is spelt the same.)

jiamajia

Member Type
Student or Learner

Note, for info, in BrE it's spelt "tyre" (only when you're talking about the type on a car or bicycle". The verb "to tire" is spelt the same.)

Yes, I know 'tire' is American English. I got a service at a Tire Kingdom chain in the USA. Impressive.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And I probably should have pointed out that in BrE, we normally just say "I've got a puncture".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

:up: ... in this context, of course. If someone has just moved to a new town, and has found a job, but is living in a poky little bed-sit, when he says 'All I need to do now is get a flat' he's not talking about punctures!

b

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, "get a flat" is immediately understood to mean a flat (or punctured) tire. For example, a person might arrive late to work and would simply explain to the boss "Sorry I'm late, I got a flat."

Flats as residences do exist in the US, but they're less common than apartments and condominiums. In the US a "flat" refers to a residence that has basically been divided in half horizontally - both upstairs and downstairs have all the amenities of a home (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, etc), but both are completely self-contained and separate and have their own private entrances.

Status
Not open for further replies.