Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
These are cloze questions taken from a national English test in my country.

1. Although we have a large number of students, each one receives _____ attention.

A. only
B. alone
C. separate
D. individual

I chose C but the answer is D. Now come to think of it, I suppose "individual" is a better option since "separate" might imply each student is taught/treated differently, while "individual" only means the teachers will pay attention to everyone without leaving anybody out.
However, I still believe "separate" is still a possible choice thus leaving it there is a little bit unfair?

2. Nowadays, with the help of the computer, teachers have developed a ____ approach to teaching.

A. multilingual
B. multimedia
C. multilateral
D. multiple-choice

The answer is B. I guess the word "computer" does hint to the answer, but just as above, I want to ask whether C is also a possible answer.

Thanks.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

1. D is the correct answer. See also individual - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online, #2. "Individual" and "attention" are very commonly used together in this context.

[FONT=&quot]2 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][ only before noun [FONT=&quot]] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] belonging to or intended for one person rather than a group [/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT]Children get more individual attention in small classes.
You can have the bathroom designed to suit your individual needs .
individual portions of jam

2. B is the correct answer. Yes, the the word "computer" suggests that they have developped a multimedia approach to teaching. A multimedia approach to teaching would involve computers and computer programmes. "Multilateral" doesn't make much sense because it doesn't say anything about the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.