Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I have troubles identifying a word, the ending of which sounds like in french "mirage", but it's like "alt-age" or "old-age". Actually it's within a poem, here's the line: "Chase my fears away, my ...". I post here instead of some lyrics forum, cause maybe it's some rarely used poetic word, sorry for that :roll:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you tell us the title of the poem and the name of the poet? If not, we are just guessing random words!

wolfRAMM

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Are you kidding me? Why would I post if I knew that?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It was a perfectly reasonable question as I assumed you had heard it, not read it, you couldn't make out the word and you hadn't been able to find a written copy. One of us might have had more luck. Where did you hear/see it then?

wolfRAMM

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
That's from a song, and I *know* that no text of it does exist in public access.
I gave plenty of information:

• two syllables
  • ends like /ˈɑ:ʒ/
  • probably rarely used/poetic word
Was it in my native language—I'd allready have coined some variants or said that there's no such word.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What makes you think it's a rarely used/poetic word? I'd still like to know what the song/artist is (you originally said it was from a poem) - it's only fair to quote your sources.

wolfRAMM

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Message deleted. - Completely inappropriate content.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is no need whatsoever to be snarky.

I have no idea how you expect us to help. For my own part, I can't think of a single word which sounds like it ends with the French pronunciation of "-age" ending which would fit the rest of that sentence. Unless by some huge stroke of coincidence, someone else on the forum happens to recognise the song using the small fragment you have posted, I think there is little hope of any of us guessing the right word. It seems to me that "chase my fears away, my old age" could actually fit (grammatically) but I can't imagine why the singer would pronounce it oddly at the end.

Still, as I am clearly being of no help whatsoever to you, I will refrain from making any more posts in this thread.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could it be my liege? Please try to keep things civil here.There's no need for that sort of talk.

wolfRAMM

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Could it be my liege?
There's huge difference between dʒ and ʒ, I would rather think of something like "my old touch" (if one can use "touch" as "bane")...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There's huge difference between dʒ and ʒ
It's hardly a huge difference.
, I would rather think of something like "my old touch" (if one can use "touch" as "bane")...
No, one can't. Anyway, the difference beween /ʧ/ and /ʒ/ is somewhat greater than that between /ʤ/ and /ʒ/.

You have given us very little to go on, and every attempt one of us makes is met with an at best less than positive response, so I shall join ems in leaving this thread.

wolfRAMM

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
And how does it relate to the topic? :-?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In yet another attempt to be helpful, charliedeut posted a link to a song which presumably he thought was the one you had heard and failed to understand. Do you actually know the name and performer of the song in question? There are thousands of songs for which the lyrics are not available online.

wolfRAMM

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Of course I do! But it would be stupid to go like "Hey guys what a cooool sooooong plz write me lyrics for it lolz xdxdxd"...
...And I'm just worrying for your health, as you may literally die while listening to it :vamp:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, if you are not prepared to give us all the information you have when asking us to help, then I see no reason why we should help you. I am closing this thread. It is going nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.