Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
Hi,

They say "when it rains, it pours" it gives a negative meaning.
It is like "saying "misfortunes never come alone".

Is there a positive equivalent to that? To indicate the one incident of good luck, is bringing more?

Thanks.

J

J&K Tutoring

Hi,

They say "when it rains, it pours" it gives a negative meaning.
It is like "saying "misfortunes never come alone". We also say, 'Bad things come in threes.'

Is there a positive equivalent to that? To indicate the one incident of good luck, is bringing more?

The phrase 'When it rains it pours' is not only for negative things. It can be used for positive things too. Mostly we (NA) wouldn't comment too much on the beginnings of good luck for fear of 'jinxing' it, but we might say:

I'm must be on a lucky (or hot) streak.
My ship has come in.
Knock on wood.
Looks like my prayers have been answered.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Good things come in threes" is the closest thing that occurs to me. I disagree with the above poster, I think that "when it rains, it pours" is almost exclusively used for negative things. I can't think of a single sentence in which it would sound natural referring to positive events.

Ducklet Cat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
The phrase 'When it rains it pours' is not only for negative things. It can be used for positive things too. Mostly we (NA) wouldn't comment too much on the beginnings of good luck for fear of 'jinxing' it, but we might say:

I'm must be on a lucky (or hot) streak.
My ship has come in.
Knock on wood.
Looks like my prayers have been answered.

That was useful, thanks. :)
But I checked several sites, and none of which confirms that it could be used for positive meaning.

This interesting! We do have a lot in common in our cultures.
Some people avoid talking about good events, because they are afraid of the "evil eye". I did not know that people in the West share this too.
And we have a proverb in Arabic that says "Althaltha thabta" which means means that "third one is a fixed one", so if you fail 2 times, you will make it on the third time.

Thanks you J&K Tutoring.

Ducklet Cat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
"Good things come in threes" is the closest thing that occurs to me. I disagree with the above poster, I think that "when it rains, it pours" is almost exclusively used for negative things. I can't think of a single sentence in which it would sound natural referring to positive events.

Thank you Tullia.
You know what, I've always had the impression that in the West rain is not welcome, so it would be shocking to use it for a positive meaning.

Does anyone have any provers or idioms that show how people fidget about rain and express their dislike of it?

catbert

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I agree with this, "when it rains it pours" is never used positively.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you Tullia.
You know what, I've always had the impression that in the West rain is not welcome, so it would be shocking to use it for a positive meaning.

Does anyone have any provers or idioms that show how people fidget about rain and express their dislike of it?

Well I live in Manchester and we hate the rain, but get a lot of it.

I'm not sure about proverbs, but I certainly think that the (vulgar) expression "it's pissing it down" which we use to refer to heavy rain probably tells you how we feel about it, since urine isn't usually considered the most desirable of substances to get covered in!

zxc5395

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
Actually, in basketball, people say it is raining when somebody is scoring a lot of points, typically through shooting. I've heard many people say " I make it rain," then say "When it rains, it pours," to brag about their hot hands or shooting streak.

J

J&K Tutoring

In my 'defense' I'll say that I was thinking about too much of a good thing. So, would you consider that as positive or negative? Is the glass half full or half empty?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Every cloud has a silver lining.

Nahed Nashat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Australia
replying to your question j&k Tutoring, if it means good things happen to us, it absolutely will mean the glass half full.As many things good will happen not just one good thing.In this case we say that the person is lucky or fortunate:-D:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.