Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If you are American and you know Louis Braille is French, would you pronounce him as /lui breɪl/ in French way or /luis breil/ in American way? I wonder how they will react to this. Even in Korea, many foreigners' names are known in Korean pronunciations, not in their original ones.

ma61)...Before long, the young boy, Louis Braille, found that he could not see anything...He attended the National Institute for the Blind Youth in Paris...

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I knew he was French, I would say it in the French way. Then again, "Louis" is quite common. If it was a French name that was not common, it would probably be pronounced in an Anglicized way.

Of course, I am an ice hockey fan, and am exposed to more French-Canadian names than most Americans who are not hockey fans.

Edit to note I was talking about "Louis" and not "Braille."

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you are American and you know Louis Braille is French, would you pronounce him as /lui breɪl/ in French way or /luis breil/ in American way? I wonder how they will react to this. Even in Korea, many foreigners' names are known in Korean pronunciations, not in their original ones.

ma61)...Before long, the young boy, Louis Braille, found that he could not see anything...He attended the National Institute for the Blind Youth in Paris...
The rule I use is that a word is pronounced the way most of the people in the area pronounce it. For example, the Rio Grande Railway is pronounced "Rye o Grand". In the original Spanish, this would be pronounced "Ree O Grand da". There are a couple of good reasons for this. The first is that the railway company owns the name and they can call if anything they want. The second reason is that this is the way 19th Century Americans pronounced the word. As a word is taken into English, the pronouncation almost always changes - Rodeo, in Spanish is "Ro da o", in English it is pronounced "Row d o".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We say "Braille" to rhyme with grail or pail.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And these things are seldom fixed. The young Louis Armstrong was called /lu:ɪs/. For most of my lifetime (until about the mid 'nineties, I'd guess) he was known as /lu:i:/. Towards the end of last century, it became fashionable to use the correct (aka incorrect) [ or, if you like incorrect (aka correct)] pronunciation.

b

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
BobK
My brain hurts....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had no idea that anyone anywhere in the world pronounced "Rio" as "Rye-oh"!

Status
Not open for further replies.