Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Teachers:

Is there a difference between "in my line of sight" and "in my line of vision"?

I was told that "something is in my line of sight" meant something is blocking my view. Does "something is in my line of vision" also have the same unfavorable connotation, or does it simply mean "something is visible to me"?

Thanks a lot!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Line of sight" is a common expression. "Line of vision" is not. They would have the same meaning.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Line of sight" is a common expression. "Line of vision" is not. They would have the same meaning.

So when a person says to you "you are in my line of sight", would you interpret it as "you are blocking my view of something" or just as"you are at somewhere I can see"? What would people think when they hear that ("you are in my line of sight")?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So when a person says to you "you are in my line of sight", would you interpret it as "you are blocking my view of something" or just as "you are at somewhere I can see"? What would people think when they hear that ("you are in my line of sight")?
It would depend on the context. If someone was blocking your view, you'd say, "You are blocking my view", not "You are in my line of sight." If you could see someone, you'd say, "I can see you", not "You are in my line of sight."
So, people are almost certainly never going to say that to you. If they do say it, you'll probably know what they mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.