Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Hello there,

I have a question regarding a caption I once composed for a picture. The picture was of my own grandmother who passed away a few months ago. The caption said:

"Hadn't she left us so soon, the world around us would've been more peaceful."

Essentially meaning that if she was amongst us today, our lives would've been all the more peaceful. I quite simply want to know whether or not this phrase is grammatically correct. I do not wish to know any alternatives since I know I can write something else myself therefore my concern is particularly directed towards this phrase. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello there,
"Hadn't she left us so soon, the world around us would've been more peaceful." (my underlining)
I would not say that. "Hadn't she" sounds too much like question grammar for that sentence, which is not a question.

Although you don't want to know any alternatives, others will read my reply. To them I will say that 'Had she not left....' sounds much better to me for a statement. Putting "not" and "left" together sounds much more grammatical in that sentence..

Although 'Had she not' can sometimes be used in questions, it very suitable for statements. I much prefer it over MMK2210's choice for his (statement)(non-question).

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Although you don't want to know any alternatives, others will read my reply. To them I will say that 'Had she not left....' sounds much better to me for a statement.
You are right.

In fact, your version is not only much better, but the only acceptable one here.

I would add, for the benefit of others who may read this, 'would've' seems to me to be much too informal in this particular utterance; 'would have' is more appropriate.

MMK2210

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I would not say that. "Hadn't she" sounds too much like question grammar for that sentence, which is not a question.

Although you don't want to know any alternatives, others will read my reply. To them I will say that 'Had she not left....' sounds much better to me for a statement. Putting "not" and "left" together sounds much more grammatical in that sentence..

Although 'Had she not' can sometimes be used in questions, it very suitable for statements. I much prefer it over MMK2210's choice for his (statement)(non-question).

Please accept my apologies. I do understand that knowing alternatives or utilizing the ability to perceive from imparting knowledge certainly isn't doing harm to myself. It will eventually benefit me hence I thank you for your kind reply and help.

As of now, I'm absolutely clear!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5jj
Status
Not open for further replies.