Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The man says:

"In poker, you bluff your hand. In "rock-paper-scissor" your bluff is your hand"

What is the meaning of bluff here? And how you bluff yur hand?!

Thanks.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"A hand" in card games means the cards that you're holding in your hand. You bluff your hand when you bid higher than it is reasonable. For example in poker, you have a high card - a ten (this isn't much) only and you bet all-in (all you have - that's much). It means you bluffed. If others knew what you have they would bet higher and you would lose your bet. But they don't know, so they can think that you must have a powerful hand to bet so high. They pass and you win. Generally to bluff means to misinform the opponent, to try to cheat them (but breaking no rules).

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
So can I say that he means:

"In poker, you cheat your opponent with the cards in your hand, but in the other game, the hand itself is your way to cheat"?

Have I got it right?

Thanks.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think so. But I am not a teacher, only a poker player (and RPS player occasionally :)).

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
So can I say that he means:

"In poker, you cheat your opponent with the cards in your hand, but in the other game, the hand itself is your way to cheat"?

Have I got it right?

Thanks.

Bluffing is one thing and cheating is another.
Rock-paper-scissor game is played with hands literally, but in poker (as well as in other card games),the cards held by a player called a hand.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
That's true in a way. And in a way it's not. It depends on what you understand by cheating. While talking about games we usually mean "breaking the rules to get advantage" by it. But there is also the general meaning "to misinform willfully in order to get some profits" and bluffing is cheating by this definition.

Last edited:

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
What I say about bluffing is in the given context. In poker, bluffing is not against the rules of the game, but cheating is.

Status
Not open for further replies.