Perfect Infinitive, Passive Infinitive and Passive continous Infinitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmp_khauff

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Panama
Current Location
Panama
Here I want to know the differences between the following tenses that are used after the preposition to and the normal tenses that we know.

The game plays to be won on Thursday. (What make difference in meaning if a sentence is written in Simple Past verb to verb pattern and Passive Voice of Present Simple)

The animal needs to be dominating next Saturday. (What make difference in meaning with a sentence written in Present Continuous and Passive Voice of Present Continuous.)

I hope to have finished by noon. (What make difference in meaning with a sentence written in the Present Perfect before the preposition to?)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Here I want to know the differences between the following tenses that are used after the preposition "to" and the normal tenses that we know.
Are you referring to the preposition "to"? If so, you need to quote it or mark it some way - otherwise it's just another word in a sentence that makes no sense.

"The game plays to be won on Thursday." (What make difference in meaning if a sentence is written in Simple Past verb to verb pattern and Passive Voice of Present Simple)
You example sentence doesn't mean anything. You seem to be asking about the difference between a sentence written in the simple past tense and one written in the passive voice of the simple present tense. And there has to be a "to" in it somewhere. Do you have some correct English sentences to demonstrate what you mean?

"The animal needs to be dominating next Saturday." (What make difference in meaning with a sentence written in Present Continuous and Passive Voice of Present Continuous.)
Can you give a meaningful example? - that is, two correct English sentences, one written in the present continuous active and one in the present continuous passive?

"I hope to have finished by noon." (What make difference in meaning with a sentence written in the Present Perfect before the preposition to?)
The difference between what? If "to" was not in that sentence, it wouldn't make sense.
This sentence is a proper English sentence, but it is not an example of a sentence written in the present perfect before the preposition "to".
There is a present perfect construction in the sentence after the preposition "to". But what should we be comparing it to?
Your last example sentence is a good sentence, but the meanings of your questions are unclear.
If you want to know the difference in meaning between two sentences, it would be better to give two correct sentences as examples. We'd have a better chance of answering such a question.

hmp_khauff

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Panama
Current Location
Panama
I'm really sorry if you have some misunderstanding about it. Let me explain better about what I really want to know.

Actually I've found a topic through the Internet about different pattern that verbs acquire. These also involve the infinitive tenses form.

Example:
Pefect Infinitive.

I hope to have finished by noon. (In this sentence the present perfect form is localated after to, like an infinitive verb but in Present Perfect). My question is when do I use this verb pattern? I don't know if I can call this as Perfect Infinitive.

and the Other question is What make difference in meaning this verb pattern with the Present Perfect used normally. Ex. I have hoped to finish by noon.

The present perfect means something began to happen in the past, but when the present arrives you have done it.
and What the present perfect infinitive means?

--------------------------------------------
Same question with the others infinitive verb form.

to be + past participle.
to be + continious verb.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. I hope to finish by noon - I hope that I will finish by noon.
2. I hope to have finished by noon - I hope that I will have finished by noon.

With this particular pair, there is no significant difference in meaning bewteen #1 and #2.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm really sorry if you have some misunderstanding about it. Let me explain better about what I really want to know.

Actually I've found a topic through the Internet about different pattern that verbs acquire. These also involve the infinitive tenses form.

Example:
Pefect Infinitive.

I hope to have finished by noon. (In this sentence the present perfect form is localated after to, like an infinitive verb but in Present Perfect). My question is when do I use this verb pattern? I don't know if I can call this as Perfect Infinitive.

and the Other question is What make difference in meaning this verb pattern with the Present Perfect used normally. Ex. I have hoped to finish by noon.

The present perfect means something began to happen in the past, but when the present arrives you have done it.
and What the present perfect infinitive means?

--------------------------------------------
Same question with the others infinitive verb form.

to be + past participle.
to be + continious verb.
"I have hoped to finish by noon" is not a good sentence.

A: I hope to have finished by noon
B: I have hoped to finish by noon.
You're making a logical error. You want to know what A means, so you've looked around for something that looks superficially like it and called it B (and it happens not to be a good English sentence). Then you've asked "What is the difference between A and B".
It would have been far easier simply to ask, "What does A mean?"
A means, "I hope I will have finished by noon".
B, if someone ever said it, would mean "There has been a time when I hoped to have finished by noon".
So, you're no better off. A and B mean two different things, and it's futile to try and specify a "difference". Like most "What's the difference" questions, it's far better to understand what each sentence means, and forget the whole concept of the difference between them.

In other words, instead of worrying about the difference between an elephant and an eggplant, find out what each of these things are, and once you know that, you can forget about making a comparison between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.