Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

We are currently doing new idioms and some cartoons are being made on them
We have these two expressions in the list of idioms:

licensing agreement-an agreement to use or produce copyrighted or patented products or services
blanket agreement-an agreement in which similar conditions apply to a number of different situations

In the script I hid these expressions behind the following lines:
We do need Southern Light's customers, and don't forget they have concluded a number of deals with top names in our field to use their products and services, copyrighted and patented, of course. (= they have concluded licensing agreements with top names in the field.

I wish our company could negotiate an agreement with one of those big guns to apply similar conditions to a number of different situations. (=I wish our company could negotiate blanket agreements with one of those big guns)

Do my transformations sound OK or should I leave the expressions unchanged?

Thank you for your time and help.

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I noticed this hasn't gotten a response yet. I'm not sure exactly what your question is. What is this "script" for? Is this an internal memo or some kind of advertisement? I think your sentences sound ok, but it might be more clear to use the clearly defined terms "licensing agreement" and "blanket agreement".

*** Not a teacher ***

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello luschen,

This text was made up by me last year based on the idioms I teach my students. Then this text-script was used, again, by me to create a cartoon.
Now I am having doubts whether the whole text sounds OK. I should not have tried to hide "licensing agreement' and "blanket agreement" as well as the other expressions behind other words to make it more difficult for students.
If I remake the cartoon, I will lose some precious points awarded to me by the owners of the site, but if it sounds unnatural, I will have to remake the cartoon anyway.
The thing is a list of expressions attached to this unit is a difficult one to compose a script on:
1. licensing agreement
2. blanket agreement
3. M&A
4. hostile suitor
5. marriage of convenience
6. to walk away from
7. to turn one's nose up at
8. one-time upstarts
9. to be up fpr grabs
10. to tender for (a contract)

As we are putting finishing touches to the cartoon-based project on idioms, I have started posting questions about them again.

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I understand better now. I think your two examples are fine. Are your students supposed to read the cartoon and pick which idiom they are describing? Is this an "English for business" type class?

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, I watched the video. I think the dialogue is good although the computer generated pronunciation is a little weird. I only noticed three small phrases which didn't seem natural:

"I hope our seniors" - Seniors usually refers to high school seniors or senior citizens. Say "senior management" or "senior executives"

"talk to the gurus" - I didn't get the full context of this, but something seemed wrong in the use of gurus.

"I will not take no for the answer" should be "I won't take no for an answer"

Everything else sounded fine.

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

Thanks a lot. I think I will change the script after all. The company has introduced new technology since I created the cartoon, and it is way better than the one I used, and besides, I prefer the dialogue to be without these slips of tongue.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.