Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi, all :)
I read The Marked Son by Shea Berkley and find this phrase (it's bolded below):
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A guy blanks out for half a second[/FONT][FONT=&quot], and suddenly, we’re talking about soy? They’re not the kind of people who drink soy milk and eat tofu, I hope. Is this my last real meal before they bring out the granola?
[/FONT]

Does 'blank out' here have the same meaning with 'being confused'?

Thanks for your gracious explanation :)
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

catbert

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Normally it would mean the same thing as "drawing a blank" - which means having a temporary memory failure.

In this context, however, I think he meant that he was lost in thought for a moment or two, and wasn't paying attention to the conversation around him. I would have to see the preceding sentences to be sure.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe it's a typo for 'blacks out'. For 'half a second' he is not following the conversation.

b

catbert

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe it's a typo for 'blacks out'. For 'half a second' he is not following the conversation.

I thought of that possibility as well. Can't be of any more help, though, until the OP returns to the thread.

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blanks out = mentally "left" the conversation due to being bored; not concentrating on what was being said.

catbert

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blanks out = mentally "left" the conversation due to being bored; not concentrating on what was being said.

Yeah, except that that's not how the expression "blank out" is normally used. But I agree that this interpretation would make the most sense in the given context.

Selviya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi, all :)

Sorry for the late reply. I had a problem with my internet connection.
These are the preceeding sentences:

I’m bored before Grandma takes her next breath. I pretend to pay attention, and instead, wonder how I’m going to survive this encounter. As I plan what classes I’ll need in order to graduate, I hear the words “rare,” “ancient breed,” and “soy.”

A guy blanks out for half a second, and suddenly, we’re talking about soy? They’re not the kind of people who drink soy milk and eat tofu, I hope. Is this my last real meal before they bring out the granola?

Perhaps it is not a typo for this text was copied directly from the e-book. And thank you all for your suggestions. I also agree that "blanks out = mentally "left" the conversation due to being bored; not concentrating on what was being said" would make the most sense in the given context. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.