[General] "She spoke on condition of anonymity in accordance with the rules of her job."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"She spoke on condition of anonymity in accordance with the rules of her job."

Hello,

this is from the news story about the recent high speed train crash in Spain.

The driver has access to two phones: one fixed in the driver's cabin and the other a cellphone. She said there is no contact by computer in the form of emails or messages. She spoke on condition of anonymity in accordance with the rules of her job

I have usually seen something like - 'spoke on condition of anonymity because s/he was not authorized to speak..', or 'spoke on condition of anonymity citing the sensitivity of the issue', and so on. This is the first time I read the above sentence (in red). I think she is not authorized to speak, but from the English meaning point of view, does the sentence also mean - 'she can speak anonymously?'

Thank you

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: "She spoke on condition of anonymity in accordance with the rules of her job."

Hello,

this is from the news story about the recent high speed train crash in Spain.
The driver has access to two phones: one fixed in the driver's cabin and the other a cellphone. She said there is no contact by computer in the form of emails or messages. She spoke on condition of anonymity in accordance with the rules of her job

I have usually seen something like - 'spoke on condition of anonymity because s/he was not authorized to speak..', or 'spoke on condition of anonymity citing the sensitivity of the issue', and so on. This is the first time I read the above sentence (in red). I think she is not authorized to speak, but from the English meaning point of view, does the sentence also mean - 'she can speak anonymously?'

Thank you
I would say that the rules of her job require that she not disclose who she is. In other words, she can speak but cannot identify herself.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Re: "She spoke on condition of anonymity in accordance with the rules of her job."

@Gilnetter, thank you. I take it that this is different from not being authorized to speak at all. At least she can speak but not give our her name, whereas when they are not authorized to speak, they are doing so anonymously, but that is against their rules.

renard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

This statement is used frequently when an employee is not permitted to speak at all, and is only speaking to the press on the condition of anonymity - in other words, she will only speak if her job cannot know it was her.

Status
Not open for further replies.