Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The bit of brief background information necessary for this to make sense: I teach junior and senior English at a relatively small (~450 students 7-12) school in a rural area of the South. I have done so for three years and have taught Reed-Kellogg diagramming for two of those three years.

The crux of my dilemma: I have not found enough convincing evidence to support the usefulness of diagramming as an educational tool and, though its use has revealed to me the essence of English (any other languages), I do not now know if I will continue to teach it, or merely do as others: eschew my teaching of diagramming in favor of a more modern, worksheet-driven approach.

What I hope to find from you all, an arguably biased group: A confident, well worded argument in favor of remaining true to my linguistic roots. Maybe even a suggestion or two for livening up the delivery of the material. At this juncture anything will do.

Thank you,

J. Jones

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Has it got other benefits- motivational, etc?

William Jones

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe so, but I'm looking for someone with experience using it (either having taught it or having been taught it) who can attest to its usefulness. Mostly, I just wanted to have a discussion about its merits. Here's a list of Pros and Cons that I've compiled:

Pros:
1. It is, essentially, a form of graphic organizer which helps students to visualize and organize their thoughts (graphic organizers are very popular in American education right now).
2. Students learn a skill which, while not necessarily practical, can be fascinating to apply and fun to engage in.
3. It teaches both divergent problem solving (there are sometimes multiple possible diagrammings) and logical thought (something I find sorely lacking).

Cons:
1. It has a horribly bad rap. There's just a stigma attached to the crucifixion of sentences on the cross of the diagram.
2. There's a great deal of labor involved with the teaching of the processes; it seems like the energy could be better spent in another way.
3. Only one discipline is being dealt with when teaching the diagramming: grammar. English Language education today is very much about interdisciplinary and multi-concept teaching.

Let me know what you think.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Diagramming is less common in the UK- I went through school, university and taught for a number of years without coming across it. When I did, I read a book on it but couldn't get much enthusiasm for it, so I haven't used it in class. Some find it fascinating, but I never got the bug.

William Jones

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's understandable. For whatever reason it was more or less monopolized by teachers in the United States from the mid-40s through the 70s/80s. It died a slow death as the teachers from the 40s (for whom it was new) began retiring in the 70s and 80s. Now it's like knowing Gregg Shorthand--I feel like a dinosaur walking about at times, but I just hope I can make up my mind before August--when we go back to school.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mr. Jones:

Since you are a new member, you may not be aware of the fact that Mr. Frank Antonson has been the chief contributor

to the diagramming forum for several years. He is a teacher who believes that the Reed-Kellogg

diagramming system is the cat's meow. I have noticed that he has not posted recently (summer vacation?), but when

he returns he will be able to tell you about his experiences in teaching Reed-Kellogg.

One nun who taught diagramming to Ms. Linda Chavez, formerly a government official, gave this advice:

"If you can't diagram it, don't write it."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status