Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. I am trying to explain what are earthquake and tsuami to children at 4 years old.

Are my following expression simple enough and understandable for them?

a. earthquake is a sudden, strong shaking of the land

b. tsuami is a large lines of water rolling up to the land and damage the house and building caused by the earchquake

Are my following expression simple enough and understandable for them?

"We are going to make a card to show our love and support to Japan by putting red paint on the your hand paint on a piece of card board. The reason of making the card in red and white because it is the colour of the flag of Japan."

Thank you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no expertise or idea about working with children that young, but it might be worth remembering that the word is tsuNami. And maybe you could show how the two phenomena are related by filling a container with water and then jerking it. The children will probably enjoy the water slopping around, and they may get an idea of why many earthquakes cause tsunamis - they're both parts of the same disaster, although there may be hours between them.

b

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have no expertise or idea about working with children that young, but it might be worth remembering that the word is tsuNami. And maybe you could show how the two phenomena are related by filling a container with water and then jerking it. The children will probably enjoy the water slopping around, and they may get an idea of why many earthquakes cause tsunamis - they're both parts of the same disaster, although there may be hours between them.

b

b,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, I am just simply asking whether the sentence structure is right or not. Sentences are as follow.

b. tsunami is a large lines of water rolling up to the land and damage the house and building caused by the earchquake

__________________________________________________ ____________
"We are going to make a card to show our love and support to Japan by putting red paint on the your hand paint on a piece of card board. The reason of making the card in red and white because it is the colour of the flag of Japan."

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Actually, I am just simply asking whether the sentence structure is right or not. Sentences are as follows.

b. tsunami is a large line[STRIKE]s [/STRIKE]of water rolling up to the land as a result of the earthquake and damag[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]ing the houses and buildings[STRIKE] caused by the ear[STRIKE]c[/STRIKE]thquake[/STRIKE]

"We are going to make a card to show our love and support[STRIKE] to [/STRIKE] forJapan by putting red paint on [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE][STRIKE]y[/STRIKE]our hands and then painting on a piece of cardboard. The reason [STRIKE]of [/STRIKE] for making the card in red and white is [STRIKE]because[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]it is[/STRIKE] these are the colours of the flag of Japan.".
Bob was suggesting that when you are dealing with children of that age, communicating the message is rather more important than worrying about sytax. The correctness of your syntax won't help much if the children don't receive the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.