Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello,
I know what "So long" means, but I always wondered why it is like it is.
Is it something like, "It will take so long to see you again." or what could it be?
To me it always sounded a bit sad when someone said, "So long.".

Cheers!

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

"So long"--

--essentially synonymous with "goodbye". Has a connotation of sadness in the same sense that saying goodbye can be associated with sadness. Also has something of a connotation of a longer goodbye or separation.

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
Isn't there a similar expression in German? In Danish we say "Farvel saa laenge" which means "Goodbye so long." I seem to remember hearing something like that in German too.
It is interesting that there are so many theories as to the origin of the phrase.
I agree that "so long" sounds like it implies a longer separation, but oddly enough it is just the opposite in Danish where people often say it even when they are just sending a child off to school for the day.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you for your replies.

Isn't there a similar expression in German? In Danish we say "Farvel saa laenge" which means "Goodbye so long." I seem to remember hearing something like that in German too.

Maybe there is and maybe I use it, but right now I'm not sure...

Cheers!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is interesting that there are so many theories as to the origin of the phrase.
I agree that "so long" sounds like it implies a longer separation, but oddly enough it is just the opposite in Danish where people often say it even when they are just sending a child off to school for the day.
Incidentally, there is in English a fairly archaic word 'Farewell'. Etymologically this means 'have a good journey' (not unlike the French bon voyage). A friend of mine who had lived in Kenya used to say 'Go well' with the same meaning.

Not many people say 'Farewell' nowadays - except dialectally. Fans of early Bob Dylan songs will have met it in the song Don't think twice, it's all right.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.