Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi everyone,

Good day to you!

I have a question about linking, especially between d and th. I hope there are someone can help with this.

There is a song called 'never say goodbye' which has a lyric

'if I could find the words I would speak them.' I highlight the parts I am confused. It sounds to me like fai ne and speekem. I am sure I must miss something in the middle. If I say word by word, I find I can not follow the rhythm.

Please help me. Thank you very much.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Listening to, or studying the grammatical construction of, song lyrics is rarely helpful to learners. Words and grammar structures are chosen to fit the rhythm of the song and singers pronounce words in their own individual style.

See if you can find examples of normal spoken versions of someone saying "find them" and you will get a better idea.

As far as "speak them" is concerned, you will regularly hear this contracted to "speak 'em". In spoken English, BrE at least, we regularly knock the "th" off the front of "them".

- Do the dishes please.
- I'll do 'em later.

- Where are your shoes?
- I can't find 'em.
- Well, find 'em and put 'em on.

I'm exaggerating a little and I'm sure some of the other natives here will tell you that they never do this. In informal spoken English, I certainly do.

c.lian

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for your reply.

It is very helpful for me to know the contracts between 'speak them'.

Regarding the linking between 'find the words', I still don't know how to pronouce it.

Can we knock off the d, or d and th togeter?

If we cannot delete both of them, is there any easy way the pronouce them together.

It is very difficult for me to smoothly say them together.

Thanks in advance.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You might find the /d/ sound dropped or reduced to help the words flow, but fai ne sounds odd to me. However, almost anything is possible in songs where singers are thinking more about singing that phonetics and grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.