[Vocabulary] May I have a word? Can I take the floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is it all right to use the phrases in the title at a presentation, lecture or a similar event when the audience is supposed to ask questions to the lecturer?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If the audience has been invited to ask questions and you have been selected after raising your hand, there's no need to say either of those; just go ahead and ask your question.

Rover

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
If the audience has been invited to ask questions and you have been selected after raising your hand, there's no need to say either of those; just go ahead and ask your question.

Rover

Yes, that's right, but in less formal atmosphere during various group discussions I sometimes need to say it. Would "Can I have a word?" be suitable for this type of communication?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Yes, that's right, but in less formal atmosphere during various group discussions I sometimes need to say it. Would "Can I have a word?" be suitable for this type of communication?

If you are in a group discussion and want to say something to the group, you could say "Can I say something (here)?", or "I'd like to say something".
"May I have a word" is normally used when you want to say something to an individual, often in private or away from other people. Typically, you would approach the person and say "May I have a word, John?". Then both of you would move away from the group for a conversation.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.