Is it possible to use "a lot of,lots of,plenty of" in negative and question sentences

Status
Not open for further replies.

murat guler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Is it possible to use "a lot of,lots of,plenty of" in negative and question sentences

Is it possible to use "a lot of, lots of, plenty of" in negative and question sentences. If yes, what is the meaning difference between these sentences...

Do you have much time?
Do you have lots of time?
Do you have plenty of time?

I don't have many problems.
I don't have a lot of problems.
I don't have plenty of problems.

If there is no meaning difference, why there are so much alternative? I mean, if we can use a lot of, lots of, plenty of in all types of sentences (positive, negative, question) why "much - many" exist?

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: Is it possible to use "a lot of,lots of,plenty of" in negative and question sente

Is it possible to use "a lot of, lots of, plenty of" in negative and question sentences. If yes, what is the meaning difference between these sentences...

Do you have much time?
Do you have lots of time?
Do you have plenty of time?

I don't have many problems.
I don't have a lot of problems.
I don't have plenty of problems.

If there is no meaning difference, why there are so much alternative? I mean, if we can use a lot of, lots of, plenty of in all types of sentences (positive, negative, question) why "much - many" exist?

Thanks

I don't know anything about Turkish, don't you have different ways of saying the same thing?

murat guler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Re: Is it possible to use "a lot of,lots of,plenty of" in negative and question sente

I don't know anything about Turkish, don't you have different ways of saying the same thing?

Sure we have. I wrote the last sentence because probably i am in "wishful thinking" mood :). I wish, this language was simpler. I am trying to improve my English but having some serious difficulties. The main problem is, my native language. It is totally different from English. Turkish is an Asian language and from "Altay" language family. Its sentence structure, ...etc, everything is different. Anyway, any comment about my question???

Status
Not open for further replies.