Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1.WE say "keep one's word; go back on one's word", why can't we say "eat one's word"? In the 3 phrases ,word has the same meaning, i.e. what one had said before, I think.
2.Can we say " get a hold of somebody"?
Thanks.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1.WE say "keep one's word; go back on one's word", why can't we say "eat one's word"? In the 3 phrases ,word has the same meaning, i.e. what one had said before, I think.
2.Can we say " get a hold of somebody"?
Thanks.
Native speakers do say "eat one's words". For example, 'It might be necessary to eat one's words when proven to be wrong.'

Yes, we can say 'get a hold of somebody'. "Please get a hold of somebody if I do not return by midnight."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks.

Not really. In the first two, your "word" is your promise.
In the second, your "words" are what you said, and you eat them because you were wrong.

When you break your word, you have shown a lack of integrity. When you have to eat your words, you are simply mistaken.

I will loan you $10 once I get paid on Friday is a promise. If I don't loan it to you, I've broken my word or gone back on my word.

You will never repay me the $10 you owe me. Then you do, so I have to eat my words.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Not really. In the first two, your "word" is your promise.
In the second, your "words" are what you said, and you eat them because you were wrong.

When you break your word, you have shown a lack of integrity. When you have to eat your words, you are simply mistaken.

I will loan you $10 once I get paid on Friday is a promise. If I don't loan it to you, I've broken my word or gone back on my word.

You will never repay me the $10 you owe me. Then you do, so I have to eat my words.
I am obliged to you for your detai explain and clear examples.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Native speakers do say "eat one's words". For example, 'It might be necessary to eat one's words when proven to be wrong.'

Yes, we can say 'get a hold of somebody'. "Please get a hold of somebody if I do not return by midnight."
Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.