Interested in Language
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hallo.
I have a question which refers to continuous infinitives. Unfortunately I have not understood meaning and importance for it till here :oops:
Can you explain me its meaning in this sentence?: ,,I don't want you to be making this machine at this time tomorrow''.
So: is this sentence correct? what does this sentence mean? And can you give me several other examples?. Thanks beforehand.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
,,I don't want you to be making this machine at this time tomorrow''.
Welcome to the forum, Levan.nap. :hi:

It's not a very natural sentence, though it's possible. It means something like, "I do not want you to be engaged in the making of this machine in 24 hours' time". There is perhaps a suggestion that the speaker wishes the other person to have completed the making of the machine before the specified time.

The continuous infinitives are natural in this sentence: I must start getting the meal ready now. I don't want to be cooking when the guests arrive. I want to be sitting sedately in the parlour ready to welcome them.

Levan.nap

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Now everything is clear. Thank you very very much ;)

Levan.nap

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Georgian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
So, I use this great chance to ask you another question please :)
I have two sentences: ,,I want that I’ll be making a cake at 5 o'clock tomorrow''. and the second one ,,I want to be making a cake at 5 o'clock tomorrow''. does they have the same context and meaning or not? Thanks a lot :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So, I use this great chance to ask you another question please :)
I have two sentences: "I want that I’ll be making a cake at 5 o'clock tomorrow''. and the second one "I want to be making a cake at 5 o'clock tomorrow''. [STRIKE]does[/STRIKE] Do they have the same context and meaning or not? Thanks a lot :)

The first is incorrect.

Look at my amendments in red above. Don't use two commas at the beginning of a quote, use exactly the same mark that you put at the end of a quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.