Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Re: phonics
THE SOUNDS OF LETTERS, PHONICS AND PHONOGRAMS

Pete, here is information about the Orton card deck. It's available through Yes Phonics on the web and probably other sources, too. I made my own deck to use at school. The pictures on the cards are not here. You can find some of those, too, given on certain websites. Best of luck with this!

Orton Phonogram Flash Cards List & Examples

The Orton Phonograms are the "phonics codes" word building tools all readers & writers of English need to reach their highest potential. For beginners to advanced learners, K-College, Gifted, Sp. Education, Self-Learning & EFL/ESL

A "Phonogram" is either one letter or a set combination of letters which represent one or more single "voiced" sounds in a given word.

The 72 phonograms are the 26 alphabet letters and 46 multi-letters consisting of 2-4 letters. Each Phonogram has 1-6 single sounds.

The 72 Phonograms are:

a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, qu, r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y, z, sh, ee, th, ay, ai, ow, ou, aw, au, ew, ui, oy, oi, oo, ch, ng, ea, ar, ck, ed, or, wh, oa, oe, er, ir, ur, wor, ear, our, ey, ei, eigh, ie, igh, kn, gn, wr, ph, dge, tch, ti, si, ci, ough, gu

The 72 Phonograms with Easy-to-Learn Keyword Captions

For fast accurate reading it is vital to know the phonogram’s sounds in the order of use frequency. The phonogram illustration with its “keyword” caption depicts the sound sequence of the phonogram. This is an easy-to-learn memory device, which is easily and quickly learned, never to be forgotten. Without this knowledge reading and spelling are very difficult.

Single-letter phonograms and keyword captions that say 1 single sound:

b (bumblebee); d (daddy’s dragon); f (funny face); h (hug); j (jumping jack); k (king);

l (lollipop); m (mammoth); n (noon); p (puppies); r (road runner); t (teeter-totter);

v (valentine); w (wiggle worm); x (x-ray a fox); z (zebra at the zoo).

Single-letter phonograms and keyword captions that say 2 to 4 single sounds:

a (have a ball); c (cat in the city); e (help me); g (goat and giraffe); i (it’s a giant radio);

o (ox over? love to!); s (Susie); u (ducks use output); y (your gypsy can fly quickly).

Multi-letter phonograms and keyword captions that say 1 single sound:

qu (queen); ee (peek); sh (she fishes for friendship); ay (play sailboat);
ai (play sailboat); aw (auto law); au (auto law); oy (noisy boy); oi (noisy boy);

ng (sing a long song); ar (car); ck (prick a pickle); or (form a sword);

wh (whisper to a whale); oa (toad on the boat); oe (tiptoe); eigh (eight freight cars);

igh (night light); kn (knight’s knockout); gn (gnat sign); wr (don’t write wrong);
dge (hodge-podge); tch (pitcher); ti (nation); ci (special social); gu (guilty guy).
These 6 phonograms all say /er/: er, ir, ur, wor, ear, our and share the caption:

(her first nurse works early on her journey).

Multi-letter phonograms and keyword captions that say 2 to 6 single sounds:

th (three of them); ow (cowboy show); ou (sound, soul, youth, trouble);
ew (brew a few); ui (fruit juice); oo (foolish crook at the door); ch (/ch/-/k/-/sh/);

ea (eating bread is great); ed (spotted starred, striped); ey (they have the honey);
ei (their leisure); ie (piece of pie); si (mansion excursion);
ough (dough, through, tough, trough, sought, bough).

Last edited by Amma; 03-Jun-2008 at 00:28. Reason: clarification

Hi,
The above thread has been closed. But I still get questions what mentioned above,

'Single-letter phonograms and keyword captions that say 2 to 4 single sounds.'

'Multi-letter phonograms and keyword captions that say 2 to 6 single sounds'

Then that's mean we can't read All words simply by looking at the spelling. If that's the case, how do we know whether the letters are representing more than one sound or not. I am getting very very confused.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I know (not to be confused with "no") what you mean. Even if you knew (not to be confused with "new") all of the rules, you would find that there are many exceptions to the rules. There have been many attempts to simplify spelling over the years. For example, "logue" was changed to "log", "island" was changed to "iland", "traffic" was changed to "trafic", as well as many more changes were introduced. Few of these changes were ever fully embraced by the population. You will just have to learn the spellings and pronunciations the same as a native-speaker does.

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Yes, I know (not to be confused with "no") what you mean. Even if you knew (not to be confused with "new") all of the rules, you would find that there are many exceptions to the rules. There have been many attempts to simplify spelling over the years. For example, "logue" was changed to "log", "island" was changed to "iland", "traffic" was changed to "trafic", as well as many more changes were introduced. Few of these changes were ever fully embraced by the population. You will just have to learn the spellings and pronunciations the same as a native-speaker does.
Hi Gillnetter,

Thank you for your kind reply.
You said I have to learn the spellings and pronunciations the same as a native-speaker does.
Does it mean:
  • a child should start to learn English by phonics
  • a grown-up should learn English by IPA

It that's the case, how old should a grown-up start to learn IPA?

Thank you.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Gillnetter,

Thank you for your kind reply.
You said I have to learn the spellings and pronunciations the same as a native-speaker does.
Does it mean:
  • a child should start to learn English by phonics
  • a grown-up should learn English by IPA

It that's the case, how old should a grown-up start to learn IPA?

Thank you.
I work part-time at a shop which sells rugs. We hire people to move rugs from store to store. Last month we hired some young Mexican-American men. This men were born and educated in the US, but they had problems speaking in English. They could not speak English correctly because their parents spoke to them in Spanish, and they mostly heard Spanish spoken in their neighborhoods. Just from hearing them speak, I could not tell if they came from Mexico or the US. Though they were born and educated in the US, they sounded very similar to other workers who had immigrated from Mexico.

Children do not, as a rule, learn their native language by phonics or IPA. Children learn a language by hearing and speaking the language. When I wrote that you have to learn the same way that a native-speaker does, I meant that you have to both hear and speak English. One way to learn English is to associate with English speakers. There may be a club or a group in your area which you could join.

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I work part-time at a shop which sells rugs. We hire people to move rugs from store to store. Last month we hired some young Mexican-American men. This men were born and educated in the US, but they had problems speaking in English. They could not speak English correctly because their parents spoke to them in Spanish, and they mostly heard Spanish spoken in their neighborhoods. Just from hearing them speak, I could not tell if they came from Mexico or the US. Though they were born and educated in the US, they sounded very similar to other workers who had immigrated from Mexico.

Children do not, as a rule, learn their native language by phonics or IPA. Children learn a language by hearing and speaking the language. When I wrote that you have to learn the same way that a native-speaker does, I meant that you have to both hear and speak English. One way to learn English is to associate with English speakers. There may be a club or a group in your area which you could join.

Hi Gillnetter,

Thank you for your reply.
I agree with what you said.
How about those people they don't have a chance to talk and listen but they really want to learn how to read a word. Do you think they should take a course to learn IPA or simply pick up a chart for self-studying?
Is IPA the only international reading system for learning English?
Is Phonics only useful for kindergarden kids starting to sound out a word? And once they go up to primary, the knowledge from Phonics is not enough to deal with complicated words that they should read a word through listening to others?

Thank you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

The IPA is not the only system, but it is the one most used. However, with online dictionaries, we can now hear the word, which makes life easier.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's not really a reading system. It's a way of showing how words are pronounced. Even if you mastered the full IPA, you would not necessarily be able to read English.

Status
Not open for further replies.