Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hi Sir ,
i am bouchra from Algeria and i need your help . I have a problem with the letter / p/ and /b/ but i didn't discover this problem till i moved to university . In speaking i have no problem but when i want to spell a word for my teachers , i found that when i say /p/ they told me you mean /b/ at that moment i recognized that i really have a problem please i need your help quickly . thank you sir .

your sincerly
bouchrajiji .

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Many consonants come in pairs, voiced and unvoiced. In the voiced version you are vibrating your vocal cords, i.e. using your voice, while in the unvoiced version your vocal cords are silent. Otherwise the mechanisms of producing the sound are identical. Here are some examples.

Unvoiced: p as in pat, voiced: b as in bat.
Unvoiced: t as in ten, voiced: d as in den.
Unvoiced: s as in sit, voiced:z as in zit.
Unvoiced: f as in fat, voiced v as in vat.

I am not sure if the following is correct or not, but it may be helpful:

شكرا جزيلا على جوابك

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi [STRIKE]Sir[/STRIKE] (inappropriate - many users are female)

I am Bouchra from Algeria and I need your help. I have a problem with the letters /p/ and /b/ but I didn't discover this problem till I moved to university. [STRIKE]In[/STRIKE] When speaking I have no problem but when I want to spell a word for my teachers, I [STRIKE]found[/STRIKE] find that when I say /p/ they [STRIKE]told[/STRIKE] tell me you mean /b/. [STRIKE]at that moment[/STRIKE] Now I [STRIKE]recognized[/STRIKE] realise that I really have a problem. Please, I need your help. [STRIKE]quickly.[/STRIKE] Thank you. [STRIKE]sir .[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]your sincerly
bouchrajiji .[/STRIKE] Unnecessary

Please note the amendments I have made to your post. When you post on this forum, it is important to follow the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

Do not refer to users as "Sir". The word only applies to men and many of the users here are female. There is no need for any such salutation.

Status
Not open for further replies.