The important of writing currency or their symbol in ielts writing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

adydean

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
hello, i want to ask about the currency information in writing ielts section 1, normally the question state the name or the symbol such as (thousand pounds sterling). obviously it in three words and do i need write it again n again everytime i state the amounts? or i just minimise it to (tps) or i just can remind in in first paragraph the the rest passage just numbers?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Only in a context where several sorts of 'pound' are possible (e.g. a bank) do you need to say 'sterling'. Even then, you only need to specify 'sterling' once (the first time you use it).

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS Don't just invent your own abbreviations - 'tps' doesn't mean what you want it to mean. Occasionally, a bank using an old computer that can't handle a "£" sign (or more likely their computers can, but the want to be able to communicate with older systems) uses the abbreviation "GBP"; I've never seen that abbreviation used by an ordinary person.

b

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hello, i want to ask about the currency information in writing ielts section 1, normally the question state the name or the symbol such as (thousand pounds sterling). obviously it in three words and do i need write it again n again everytime i state the amounts? or i just minimise it to (tps) or i just can remind in in first paragraph the the rest passage just numbers?
From reading what you have posted, I would suggest that you be more concerned with using proper English when writing, more than being concerned about other things. Begin a sentence with a capital letter (Hello, not hello), capitalize I (never i), and capitalize IELTS. In addition, I am not at all sure of what "obviously it in three words and do i need..." means. Go back to the basics you learned and apply them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS Don't just invent your own abbreviations - 'tps' doesn't mean what you want it to mean. Occasionally, a bank using an old computer that can't handle a "£" sign (or more likely their computers can, but the want to be able to communicate with older systems) uses the abbreviation "GBP"; I've never seen that abbreviation used by an ordinary person.

b

GBP is frequently used on the internet when given a dropdown list of currency choices which can be changed to suit the user. In currency converters, they are also used. "Convert GBP to USD" = "Convert pounds sterling to US dollars".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I have marked in red each error of capitalisation, spelling, punctuation or grammar.

You certainly can't change the entire phrase "a thousand pounds sterling" to an abbreviation. The abbreviation only refers to the name of the currency, not the amount. You can write "a thousand pounds sterling" as:

£1000
1000 GBP
One thousand pounds sterling

Whichever one you use first in your writing, stick with it through the piece. Don't change between them.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I admit I was unduly dismissive about GBP. (I dislke it intensely, and let my feelings get the better of me! :))

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
adydean: Speakers of French (and very probably other languages that I don't know) assume that on the analogy of l'important they can say 'the important'. You can't. It's either 'the importance of...' or 'the important thing about...'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.