Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

I say, Dad, the miners there are awfully on their uppers. (J. Galsworthy, “Exiled”)

Four or five years ago I was on my uppers, and I had seven children, and I went to my (separated) wife and asked her to help me. (W. S. Maugham, “Of Human Bondage”)

be on one’s upper = be poor, be hard up, be on the rocks, be out at elbows

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Correct.

Incidentally, I have not seen the expression 'be out at elbows' before. Is this a translation from another language, or did you find it in an English text? If the latter, I'd be grateful if you could post the context.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
{At the elbow}, very near; at hand

{Out at elbow}, with coat worn through at the elbows; shabby; in needy circumstances. [1913 Webster]

Do you remember the famous Charley Chaplin in his in the part of a miserable roamer? He wears into holes. His clothes were shabby.

out at elbow = with coat worn through at the elbows; shabby; in needy circumstances.

Out at elbow - definition of Out at elbow by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

to be out at elbow s and> go in rags; be shabbily dressed;

to be out at elbows and go in rags; be shabbily dressed; used to need to live in poverty; to crook

V.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I feel I should point out that it is always (or certainly almost always, and far more naturally) "uppers" rather than "upper".

As your examples, vil, were both "uppers" then you probably realised this, but since you didn't use it in the plural in the thread title I thought I should make it clear for any other people reading this who don't know the phrase.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.