Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm teaching English to children here in Germany. I got into a discussion yesterday with another teacher here (she is German). I feel like an idiot having to ask this, but she has been teaching children to say "today I do my homework," whereas I would say either "today I will do my homework" or "today I am doing my homework." Is it proper English to say "today I do my homework?" It just sounds wrong to me. I have taught so many students the Simple Present Tense, but I have never taught them to use it in this way.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm teaching English to children here in Germany. I got into a discussion yesterday with another teacher here (she is German). I feel like an idiot having to ask this, but she has been teaching children to say "today I do my homework," whereas I would say either "today I will do my homework" or "today I am doing my homework." Is it proper English to say "today I do my homework?" It just sounds wrong to me. I have taught so many students the Simple Present Tense, but I have never taught them to use it in this way.
Welcome to the forum, ginny. :hi:

'Today I do my homework' is natural only of you see this as part of a schedule:

Here is my plan for the week:
Today, I do my homework;
Tomorrow, I revise for the exam;
Wednesday, I tidy my bedroom.

If you are referring to a plan or arrangement, the natural things to say are:
I'm doing/going to do my homework this evening.

If it's an instant decision, or promise or offer, it's more likely to be;
I'll do my homework this evening.

You might find this interesting if you are discussing such matters with your colleague.

Status
Not open for further replies.