Teaching English when it is not your native language

Status
Not open for further replies.

emytf

Member Type
English Teacher
Good morning!
I wonder if anyone can help me. I am British and have been teaching for a long time, and now my daughter would like to travel and teach English as a foreign language. She is bilingual but has a Spanish passport.She has passed an English exam at the Official Language School, and also has a degree in Business Studies where English was one of the subjects (in Spain). Can she sit an exam to qualify her to teach English? I know there are many courses available on-line, and also long weekend workshops etc. Are they also available to those who do not hold a British passport?
Thank you all in advance. I am new to this site so hope I am doing everything correctly!
Regards,
Emy

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:hi:

I'm sure she could do a CELTA - face-to-face is best. The passport is no problem, as far as CELTA is concerned; she'd need a student visa, that's all, if she studied in England. Google for Cactus - a reputable web-based business that arranges all sorts of CELTA courses, all over the world. Many non-native speakers of English make great ELT teachers.

b

emytf

Member Type
English Teacher
Thanks so much for your reply. You will make someone (my daughter) very happy!
Regards,
Emy

ICAL_Pete

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Switzerland
CELTA is intensive. If she has no experience teaching then I'd suggest taking a shorter, simpler course and getting a couple of years teaching under her belt before going for something higher level like CELTA.

This link might help: Qualifications for Teachers - the ICAL TEFL wiki

emytf

Member Type
English Teacher
Thank you so much for that link. It has certainly made things clearer for both of us. My only concern is when it is a course based in America, the English is obviously American English. I presume this would be a disadvantage?
Thanks again,
Regards,
Emy

ICAL_Pete

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Switzerland
It depends. Some online courses are based in the US, some in the UK. Ours happens to be in the UK but we get a very large number of American students.

Practically speaking it doesn't make much difference as far as we are concerned. As long as a student is consistent (that's to say they stick either to American or British spelling) then we're happy and I expect most providers are the same.

emytf

Member Type
English Teacher
My daughter and I both speak and write British English although my computer often contradicts me!
It all sounds very positive to me and I will be discussing it with my daughter this evening.
Thank you again - the website was really interesting and your help invaluable:)
Cheers,
Emy

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much for that link. It has certainly made things clearer for both of us. My only concern is when it is a course based in America, the English is obviously American English. I presume this would be a disadvantage?
Thanks again,
Regards,
Emy

:-? :-D

'Disadvantage' to whom? I imagine we native speakers of Br Eng are pretty seriously outnumbered!

b

emytf

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi! I did not mean to offend anyone when discussing American and British English. However, here in Spain "British English" is generally what is taught. I am sure that in various parts of the world, such as South America, American English would be the choice.
Thanks to you all for your comments and advice.
Mary:)

emytf

Member Type
English Teacher
Great! I was a bit worried ... Anyway, looks like I may take the course myself as every certificate/diploma helps! I think my daughter is going to do a Masters in voluntary work (I don´t know if that exists in the UK).
Thanks to everyone - this is a really friendly forum.
Regards,
Emy (Mary)

Status
Not open for further replies.