Expansion of Idea - Kill two birds in one stone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
[This idiom originated from a Chinese saying which literally translated meant – “one stone two birds”. This saying means that we should strive to achieve two goals in a single effort. In today’s world we have a truck load of work to do and very limited time. We are all struggling to keep our heads above the water regardless of the mounting pulls of gravity towards a life in which we are at a threat to be trampled over by the progressing crowd. In such a situation if we complete more work with less effort by engaging our effort wisely we con not only keep our head above the water but also swim towards progress.]
Please give your feedback on this piece and any improvement ideas.
Thankyou:)

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[This idiom originated from a Chinese saying which literally translated meant – “one stone two birds”. This saying means that we should strive to achieve two goals in a single effort. In today’s world we have a truck load of work to do and very limited time. We are all struggling to keep our heads above the water regardless of the mounting pulls of gravity towards a life in which we are at a threat to be trampled over by the progressing crowd. In such a situation if we complete more work with less effort by engaging our effort wisely we con not only keep our head above the water but also swim towards progress.]
Please give your feedback on this piece and any improvement ideas.
Thankyou:)
You have quite a mixed metaphor there with "swimming" "gravity" and "trampled". Also, I think you are using "progress" first as a bad think and then second as a good thing. You should start a new sentence after "effort", and "can" is spelled wrong.
Still, I liked the piece.

yeecharles

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The preposition in the idiom is incorrect.It should be 'with' instead of 'in'.

The whole thing should read as:
'Kill two birds with one stone'

depontes

Member Type
Student or Learner
The correct idiom is: Kill two birds WITH one stone.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You know, ever since when I was a kid I wondered about this idiom in that why would you want to kill even ONE bird with a stone?
The imagery just doesn't work for me.

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am a bit confused. Are you saying that by working wisely we can attain something better than what we have now? Is progress better, even if it causes us to work more?
I am saying that by working wisely we can attain something "more" not better. It is a quantitative not qualitative comparison.
And yes progress is better and important even if it causes more work.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Re: Expansion of Idea - Kill two birds with one stone

How aboutt this---

This idiom originated from a Chinese saying which literally translated meant – “one stone two birds”. This saying means that we should strive to achieve two goals in a single effort. In today’s world we have a truck load of work to do and a very limited time to do it in. We are all struggling to keep our heads above the water regardless of the weight on our shoulders. If we do not use our time and efforts wisely we will be left behind. In such a situation if we complete more work with less effort by engaging our effort wisely we can not only keep our head above the water but also progress towards our goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.