How can you best use Youtube to teach English online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waleedwahsh

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
New Zealand
I’m doing a bit of a research on the best way to use short clips from Youtube to teach English online and I would be grateful for your opinion and advice on the following:

§ Do you think it's a good idea to teach English online using short Youtube clips?
§ How would you best structure a language lesson around a short video clip for online language teaching?

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I’m doing a bit of a research on the best way to use short clips from Youtube to teach English online and I would be grateful for your opinion and advice on the following:

§ Do you think it's a good idea to teach English online using short Youtube clips?
§ How would you best structure a language lesson around a short video clip for online language teaching?

Thank you so much in advance.
1. Yes.
2. It depends on the form of online teaching you use and on what you want your lesson to be about. Do you use IRC, e-mail or something else? Do you want to teach speech comprehension only or do you want to make a discussion out of it?

waleedwahsh

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
New Zealand
Hi there! It's mostly speech comprehension. However in the tool I'm working on I've also provided a space for comments (i.e. which allows for conversations to take place)

I was going to send you a link a link to a sample page from the tool I'm working on to show you what I mean but as I'm a new member here I'm not allowed to post links yet. But if you like you can visit imimic.net and click on any of the clips there to have a look at what I'm doing - would love to have your feedback on whether there's enough functionality and what else you might add to it.

Thanks a lot,
Waleed

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Waleed, I like your site very much. The only thing I would change is the navigation through the videos. Some "next video" buttons could be useful.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Given that the used of video for teaching has been around a long time, I would say that the only issues for most people with youtube would be image quality and connection. It is simply a means of delivering something already used, with the added bonus of extra features.

I had a look at a couple of your videos- the cartoon about getting ready and the Obamas' date night. What's your plan for further use of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.