Does my American accent sound convincing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I like to learn different English accents. A few months ago, I posted a recording of my British English accent and everyone thought that I sounded like a native speaker from England.

Now I'm back, but this time with a recording of my attempt at an American accent. The recording runs for only 1 minute and 43 seconds, so I hope that I'm not wasting too much of your time. I'd appreciate it if you could answer the following two questions:

1. Does my American accent sound convincing?
2. If so, does it remind of you any particular region in the US?

Listen here, or click here for a direct download link. It's a very spontaneous recording, I didn't read a text or anything.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm a BrE speaker and so not an authority, but I would say it was less convincing that your BrE.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It sounded like an Australian or Brit trying to mimic an American movie trailer voice over (a la Don LaFontaine). That is to say, I think you're trying a little too hard. A general American accent isn't very affected or nasal. Just relax a bit and speak at you normal pitch.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Mind you, if I could sound like a native speaker imitating a different variant, I'd be chuffed.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Thank you for your time, Tdol and SlickVic9000. I really appreaciate it.

It sounded like an Australian or Brit trying to mimic an American movie trailer voice over (a la Don LaFontaine). That is to say, I think you're trying a little too hard. A general American accent isn't very affected or nasal. Just relax a bit and speak at you normal pitch.

I see where you're coming from. At first I thought that it sounded OK, but then I listened to it again after I had read your reply and now I hear how forced and exaggerated the whole thing is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.