Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
please help me with this. i'm writing an article based on personal experience. i'm narrating an event where a picture i kept in my diary suddenly came out of it. the world i could think of to describe it was "the picture slipped out of it". but the dictionary meaning of "slip out" is something like making a mistake. so i'm not sure if i should use this word or is there a better word to describe it?

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[AmE - not a teacher]

I think your sentence is fine. "The picture slipped out of my diary." That makes sense to me. Maybe the definition you're seeing is "slip up"? That means to make a mistake. "My teacher asked me to be quiet, but I slipped up and blurted out the answer."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please help me with this. I'm writing an article based on personal experience. I'm narrating an event where a picture I kept in my diary suddenly came out of it. The [STRIKE]world[/STRIKE]way I could think of to describe it was "the picture slipped out of it" but the dictionary meaning of "slip out" is something like making a mistake so I'm not sure if I should use this word or is there a better word to describe it?

Please look at my amendments in red above. If you are writing an article in English, you need to concentrate on your use of capital letters.

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).

I agree with Bob that "slipped out" is fine. You could also use "fell out". They both indicate that the picture accidentally came out of your diary.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
please help me with this. i'm writing an article based on personal experience. i'm narrating an event where a picture i kept in my diary suddenly came out of it. the world i could think of to describe it was "the picture slipped out of it". but the dictionary meaning of "slip out" is something like making a mistake. so i'm not sure if i should use this word or is there a better word to describe it?
Figuratively, "slip out" can mean that. "I didn't mean to call you a big hairy gorilla. It just slipped out. (The words just slipped out of my mouth)"
It would be strange for a dictionary to give that as the primary meaning of "slip out" though.

FarhatAlam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I'm sorry I'm replying so late. I was seriously ill and I underwent an operation weeks ago. Thanks for your help. :)

I am sorry [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]emsr2d2[/FONT],I did not use proper capitalization. I was in a hurry, that should not be an excuse though. :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hope you are feeling better now.

Status